General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone live in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

All of Colorado. Like someone posted, stay west of I-25 and damn near every road is a great motorcycle road. I prefer the western slope of the Rockies. Make the ride north out of Cortez thru Telluride to Ridgeway then back down to Durango thru Ouray and Silverton. Try to take a ride over Independence Pass between Aspen and Leadville. Durango to Pagosa Springs to South Fork to Gunnison ain't too shabby. Stay away from Denver and Colorado Springs. Heck it's all good. It will be the ride of your life. Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
ottoman007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steamboat Springs

Use to have a blast riding the roads leading to and leaving this town. If i remember correctly the town sat at 6,000ft and the top of the mountain was 14,000ft. Also when people talk about attitude sickness there not kidding. I saw allot of people getting sick, well they where college girls on spring break from Texas so maybe it was just alcohol poisoning. There is also a natural hot spring outside of town that was allot of fun, down fall sometimes in the summer the towns smells like rotating eggs due to the sulfur caves.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I posted this information on the Road Trip section sometime ago..:

Here are a few favorite, and suggested routes:

Day 1: Colorado Springs - west on Hwy 24 to South Park - Buena Vista - Salida - Gunnison (Road Way Inn - nice people, love bikers) - Head to Crested Butte (app. 20 miles north) for dinner.

Day 2: Gunnison - Lake City - Creede (a favorite ride!) - South Fork - Pagosa Springs (stay near the hot springs!).

Day 3: Pagosa Springs - Durango - Silverton - Ouray - Montrose (nice Holiday Inn there!).

Day 4: Montrose - Hwy 50 est 10 miles to Black Canyon National Park - don't miss this!) - east to Blue Mesa Dam road - north on North Rim Black Canyon to Hotchkiss - Paonia - Glenwood Springs (stay at Hotel Colorado [Pres. T. Roosevelt's favorite place to stay in Colorado] again, near the hot springs pool [absolutely HUGE pool]).

Day 5: Glenwood Springs - Aspen - Independance Pass - Leadville - Dillon - Loveland Pass (almost as nice as Independance) - Berthoud Pass - Winter Park.

Day 6: Winter Park - Grand Lake - Trail Ridge Road - Estes Park - Denver - Colorado Springs.

Each of these rides takes into account that many of your group will want to spend a bit of time in these towns...you can not drive through them without taking in the flavor!!

I'd start looking for reservations ASAP after January 1st. Not that they'll be booked (except for Durango where they fill up fast!), but that you'll want to shop for best prices. Hotel costs are across the board: the Roadway in Gunnison was about $60/nite while Durango was $120/nite.

Here's the link to this, and several other suggested rides in Colorado:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...xt-summer.html

I posted a few pictures of parts of southern Colorado on that link.

Another good place to look for information on Colorado is in the Southwest Ride Section at the bottom of the main page. Lots of good info here on the state....use the search function for more.

Good luck.

Last edited by Whiskers; 01-19-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Whiskers, I'm printing off your input and taking it to our planning meeting.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

I want to thank everyone who posted their ideas on cool roads in Co.
Jonnierock

Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Canyonrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colo Trip

Hwys 141 and 145 south of Grand Grand Junction then on into Cortez via the back road. 3 -4 hours of nothing but winding thru western Colorado canyons.

Last edited by Canyonrider; 03-26-2010 at 11:57 PM.