General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nuvi Mounted to a Windshield Bag - Will it work? See Video!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuvi Mounted to a Windshield Bag - Will it work? See Video!

So, I'm waiting for my RAM mount to show up in the next few days and I didn't ride today due to rain/cold and had nothing to do but think about how to mount my Nuvi 265w. As I looked at the bike, I decided that maybe I could actually mount it on the windshield bag using Velcro.

I've Velcro-ed thing before and though; why not try and see what happens. It's just a few inches of Velcro anyway.

So I cut two pieces and attached one to the back of the Nuvi with the self-adhesive backing and it's fine. The other piece need to go on the windshield bag and that has texture and it's leather etc.etc. I know the self-stick will never hold. Gorilla Glue to the rescue and I put that strip on using a little glue for extra adhesion.

After letting it all set and dry it's time for the acid test. Will it actually hold while riding? Well, see the video! If I encounter vibration like this, I have much bigger problems than to worry about the GPS

Of course actual riding will come tomorrow. I expect the RAM mounting system to be here in a few days and I'll keep it around, just in case.

Here is a link to the YouTube video and your comments are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRAmJD0whgU

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Go ahead and put a rubber band around it. Never can do too much.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my question is, if you have the Ram Mount coming in a few day's why would you Velcro and glue it to the bags? are you getting new bags?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM
jbharley
Intermediate

Great Idea.....Probably a better position for viewing than where the mount is going to hold it.......

Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

I used something similar for my satellite radio so that I could switch it easily between bikes. I didn't use velcro but I used the adhesive strip like is supplied with EZ pass. Hasn't fallen off yet. When I toured down in NC I rented a bike and put the GPS unit with the suction cup on the gas tank. Didn't budge the whole day, but I don't think it was such a great idea in retrospect.

Last edited by dlrshort; 01-17-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Marine Trader
Cruiser

Not a solid enough base. I'm sure the vibration will be screaming " bad idea ".

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't wait, so ruined a perfectly good bag... and couldn't ride anyway.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a regular ol TOM-TOM and just stick it right on the windshield with the suction cup mount.Rode from Florida to new jersey and back with zero problems.Takes 2 seconds to remove.I did attach a lanyard around the stem of the suction cup for in case it ever came off due to a hard hit on a pot hole etc, but it held up great.I have read the unit you have is an excellent unit, and can be seen alot better in bright day light.Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I also have a Garmin Nuvi. I was told and read on the Garmin site that the automobile GPS units are NOT for motorcycles mainly due to the vibration that the motorcycles produce. I'm just curious if any of you have found that to be true or not from experience?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soft06
I also have a Garmin Nuvi. I was told and read on the Garmin site that the automobile GPS units are NOT for motorcycles mainly due to the vibration that the motorcycles produce. I'm just curious if any of you have found that to be true or not from experience?
I have been using a basic TOM TOM for over a year for long trips, probably have logged about 5 thousand miles with the TOM TOM onboard stuck to my quik release windshield with a suction cup and I have had zero problems.Although the screen can be harder to see in bright sunlight kinda like my depth finder in my boat when its real bright.Paid 119 dollars for the TOM TOM and use it in our autos and bike.The suction cup mount seems to absorb alot of the bumps because it flexes quite alot.I have never had the suction cup let go, but have a lanyard looped around it just in case.

Quick Reply: Nuvi Mounted to a Windshield Bag - Will it work? See Video!