General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD extended warranty recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM
skrusich
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD extended warranty recommendations?

The factory warranty on my 08 Ultra Classic is expiring in about 2 months. I am seriously considering buying an extended HD warranty. I have contacted a few dealers and the cost widely varies.

Anyone have recent experience or recommendations regarding where I can get the best price? So far I am pricing the 5 year and the 7 year warranties with wheel and tire coverage.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Steve
skrusich@comcast.net

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,783 Likes on 530 Posts

If you want your dealer to own you for another 5 to 7 years, go ahead and buy one. I had one on my 06 Sporty, but after 2 services in a row where they induced oil leaks the likes you wouldn't believe, and I don't mean drips, I mean the entire bike from the oil filter back covered, including the rear brake pads. And I was even paying for the privledge of letting them do it. I finally called and cancelled the last 4 years of it. Seen no reason to continue to be raped for another 4 years. Buy the warranty and your locked into letting them gouge your wallet every 5K. Of course you can try buying one, doing the services yourself, then hope they stand behind any issues that pop up. Good luck with that.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Stryke1
Cruiser

I have a 7 year extended warranty and I'm glad I have it. It has more than paid for itself. I have an independent mechanic do my 5k maintenance and I do some maintenance myself. I take the bike to the dealer for warranty work. It has never been an issue. They dealer has never asked to see any records or receipts of maintenance work. They are still making money on warranty work. Even if they did request to see records/receipts, if you have them it should not be an issue. I am not so naive as to think that this is the case with all dealers, but this is the way it is supposed to work.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
skrusich
Novice
Default Extended warranty dealer prices??

Can anyone direct me to the dealer they believe is very willing to deal on the warranty prices?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM
jackflemin
Stage IV

I am glad I have my extended warranty

Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Extended warranties are the brain child of bean counters and the folks doing the stats on repairs. They figure what they loose on repairs they more than make up for on bikes that have no problems. Personal choice here. I don't go for extra warranties but insure the crap outta just about everything else. Maybe I'm a fool for falling for the same trap, but it makes me feel better, had a bad experience being under insured.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

Take the money you were going to buy the extended warranty and put it in a bank account...don't touch it either! Every time "you" do your service (about 60 bucks) put another 300.00 into your bank account. (That's about how much you are wasting when you let the dealer do it and you would have paid them that ammount anyway.
IF you do have a problem, then I bet you can guess where the money is going to come from to fix it. Chances are you won't have any problems and hey...lookie there...you got a nice chunk of change sittin in the bank.
Just a suggestion...but that's what I am doing.
And never EVER finance an extended warranty!!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Don't believe in any extended warrarty....If the product ain't any good, I don't buy it in the first place...

Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the OP is looking for opinions on whether or not he should purchase an extended warranty, rather what dealers are offering the best prices on the warranty purchase. Now I may be mistaken, and please accept my apologies in advance for my misgivings. If this is indeed the OP intent, then I say screw the warranty and keep your fingers crossed, I know I am...

Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skrusich
Can anyone direct me to the dealer they believe is very willing to deal on the warranty prices?
San Diego Harley.

Quick Reply: HD extended warranty recommendations?