General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch cable install was the biggest pain ever.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 AM
97CMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch cable install was the biggest pain ever.

So I was installing a magnum shielding clutch cable the other day... Everything was fine hooking it up to the transmission but when it came to hooking it on the leavers..my hell. These levers are aftermarket by the way... They seem well made but have no name or number stamped anywhere I could see. So the pivot end of the cable would not fit in the lever and be centered for the pin. I had to grind on the round pivot end of the cable (length width and height) to make this fit because the end on this cable was slightly thicker in all demestions as apposed to the old cable I pulled off. I'm pissed because i'm sure this grinding compromised the strength of the cable some.

I was so frustrated, has anyone had this problem? Thoughts or comments?

Last edited by 97CMC; 01-17-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the world of doing your own work.Look at the money you saved.Best thing is you will not make the same mistake twice.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
97CMC
Intermediate

Ya no kidding, I kinda thought this would be a universal fitting thing and have no issues....I could not believe this. Another issue was the pivot pin was a much smaller diameter than the cable end. It looks like someone made a metal bushing before....and it works fine...I would love to look at a factory set up..is it anything like this?

Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

interesting.....putting on a braided clutch cable myself sometime here soon

Old 01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,405 Likes on 8,423 Posts

It's good you did it yourself. If you took it in to have it done, they wouldn't have told you chit!! Atleast this way you know the grinding MAY have compromised the strength of the cable. And you are aware of it.....

Old 01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IF I'm understanding what you're putting out there, I don't believe you 'compromised' the "strennnnth".

I use Magnum II, all the time. Curious as to 'your' set-up. My '78 'cable' fits as original, and I have chrome 'late' style controls on the bars. No probs, what so ever. BUT they are 'stock' style controls. Again, curious as to what you have for 'controls' on the bars ????

PLEASE keep posting. I haven't run a crossed this yet, and would like to know what you have.
BTW, if you put pics up, didn't come thru.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Shouldn't have problem with the strength, provided you didn't take off too much material.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

Jeez, i dunno, if he removed metal that would weaken the part that holds the cable to the lever it would give me the *******

Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
97CMC
Intermediate

Yes I will post some pics. I would really like to know just what controls these are and what the hell gives because I almost flipped on this simple project.
I could have ground on the inside of the leavers but the slot is so deep and narrow i just didn't think i could clearance it correctly. Ill have to show you what all I'm talking about cuz i'm sure this is a big WTF.

Does anyone have a diagram of factory lever and cable set up? I would love to see this. I have a manual but of coarse it does not have this pic in it.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

OK, reading your post again you took material off the round (I call them tangs) that hooks into the clutch lever, you probably have a meatier lever with smaller hole,(insert joke) there's not much metal in the factory lever, below is a sporty. you should be better than new,

Attached Thumbnails Clutch cable install was the biggest pain ever.-10015260.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clutch cable install was the biggest pain ever.