General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a new helmet that isnt a mushroom!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
bakwoods76
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new helmet that isnt a mushroom!!!!!!!!

I have a helmet now but I am looking for something that does not make me look like I have a mushroom on my head. The skid lid looks like a helmet that may work. Any suggestions??????

Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 PM
davescreation
Tourer

skid lid is the way to go

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a few you have to look....the carbon fiber ones sometimes are on the thin side and look cool. Just stay out of harley I find theres all to be very big

Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got an ACC half DOT. Seems to be the least mushroom head DOT of the bunch.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You just have a very large head. Nothing will help, sorry.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bakwoods76
I have a helmet now but I am looking for something that does not make me look like I have a mushroom on my head. The skid lid looks like a helmet that may work. Any suggestions??????

I’ve always found choosing the right helmet a nightmare up until now, ****-pot helmets either make my pin head look like a mushroom, or the man from the old Tefal adverts, and I don’t always like wearing a full-face.

The TSG Superlight Evo ****-pot has thrown away the mushroom look and brought out a super slimline ultra comfortable helmet.

The Sl Evo weighs in at 159g lighter than its bigger brother “The Evo” making it a light as hell 300g. The helmet is made from a lightweight EPS impact foam with a high density injected ABS outer shell which comes in a matt black of silver finish. With the new designs stylish sleeker curves TSG state that the SL Evo has increased protection due to the lower fit of the helmet.

Keeping your head cool is not a problem due to the helmets 14 vented air channel system pushing the airflow from the front of the helmet to the back to avoid perspiration, and if you are a sweater then don’t worry as all the padding can be removed for washing making sure you don’t end up with a smelly helmet. The SL Evo is nicely finished off with a clip chin buckle which keeps the lid firmly on your head.

As used by the Somerset Freeride and Dirt jump duo Smith and Davage you can be sure the Tsg Superlight Evo will do an excellent job of not allowing your brains to get squished. The only thing I found quite strange about the TSG SL Evo is the fact it only comes in black and silver, when the Evo range has loads of different colour and graphic options to offer. Other than that the helmet is awesome and really only feels like your wearing a baseball cap instead of a MTB / BMX / Skateboard helmet. I’m going to be wearing the Superlight throughout the summer.
....................................................j/k

Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

If you don't care about protection and appearance is important get a non DOT approved novelty helmet. It's unlikely to provide much protection to your head though in the event of an accident. It really depends on why you want a helmet. If you are buying a helmet for protection and comfort and have $200+ to spend, get a good quality , well vented, 2010 snell approved, full face helmet and perhaps an optional tinted visior for sunny days.

Remember that 40%+ head impacts in an accident are to the chin, nose and eyes (quoting from the book Proficient Motorcycling, which quotes from a number of studies). According to most studies a DOT approved half helmet will shield you from about 1/2 of the head impacts a full face helmet will in a crash and a 3/4 is somewhere between a 1/2 helmet and a FF helmet in the protection it offers.

If I sound a little biased I am, I've done a face plant at 60mph and slid/tumbled 200ft. I would be dead or severely disfigured if I was only wearing a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. Because of the helmet and gear I was wearing I was able to survive with only a severe concusion, fractures to my shoulder and collar bone and no abrasion injuries.

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-17-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got an ACC half DOT. Seems to be the least mushroom head DOT of the bunch
Got the same one. Picked up their non-DoT version as well.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM
bakwoods76
5th Gear

Thanks for all of the replies. I am still kinda leanin towards the skid lid. I feel that full face helmets are safer but I panic with a full face cause it seems to take my perifial vision away. Keep your thoughts coming. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. I am still kinda leanin towards the skid lid. I feel that full face helmets are safer but I panic with a full face cause it seems to take my perifial vision away. Keep your thoughts coming. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.
I'm not sure why as a FF has an eye port to allow the same peripheral vision you would have without a helmet. With your eye ball rotated all the way to the side, you should only barely be able to barely see the edge of the eye port. If it is blocking your view the helmet sizing is wrong. Google frames however will limit peripheral vision. Usually a visor will provide better visability than googles. I find I need to use anti fog spray though to keep it from fogging up in cold weather or rain.

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-17-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: I need a new helmet that isnt a mushroom!!!!!!!!