General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Selling Touring Plant

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think they should sell it to honda and share tech. and parts to weather the economic downturn.

Last edited by carpetride; 01-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if some people love their HD's "more or less" than they love to constantly bitch about HD (as a company).

107 years, some ups & downs. What company hasn't been through that?

I realize this is an open forum and everyone is allowed to voice their opinion.

But I gotta say I am surprised about the absolute constant complaining.

Dead F'in serious here, if I was that disgusted with HD as a company (apparently as some folks) I certainly wouldn't patronize them.

Food for thought, I hear Honda's are really nice and Honda never makes a mistake.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:17 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bitchin

Originally Posted by ashmarc
I'm not sure if some people love their HD's "more or less" than they love to constantly bitch about HD (as a company).

107 years, some ups & downs. What company hasn't been through that?

I realize this is an open forum and everyone is allowed to voice their opinion.

But I gotta say I am surprised about the absolute constant complaining.

Dead F'in serious here, if I was that disgusted with HD as a company (apparently as some folks) I certainly wouldn't patronize them.

Food for thought, I hear Honda's are really nice and Honda never makes a mistake.

What you call bitchin some people call feedback! GM had the arrogant buy my dinosaurs or leave it attitude, pre bankruptsy! Ford was already developing new product line and was better prepared to survive the 08 crash. Did not need a bailout!

If mighty GM can fail so can Harley! I own Harleys and like the brand but will never buy another until they make some improvements on their post 07 EPA Bikes.

Harley's are just Harley's in name only since they started building them for the EPA!

I want the company to start building them like the one's I bought before 07, and yes Honda will take my cash! I won't be the only one voting with my feet.

Would rather buy an American Motorcycle built in America by American Workers. Someone from MOCO reads the forums, they may just get a little feedback on their product and make some changes.

I see you own an 06, hang on to it. You don't have a good point of reference, 07 and beyond they have been building more for the EPA. 08 emission standards got very tough to meet and now the 2010's have catalytic converter's on them plus AFR on the lean side and EPA CAM's.

Catalytic Converter on a Harley? Excuse me! They cease to be a Harley when you stick that thing in the headpipe! Don't sound like a Harley and don't run like a Harley. May as well buy a Honda,

Last edited by coupe55; 01-16-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55

I own Harleys and like the brand but will never buy another until they make some improvements on their post 07 EPA Bikes.
Which improvements would you like to see?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe they'll get lucky and Polaris will buy them

Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
If mighty GM can fail so can Harley! I own Harley's and like the brand but will never buy another until they make some improvements on their post 07 EPA Bikes.

Harley's are just Harley's in name only since they started building them for the EPA!

I want the company to start building them like the one's I bought before 07, and yes Honda will take my cash! I won't be the only one voting with my feet.

Would rather buy an American Motorcycle built in America by American Workers. Someone from MOCO reads the forums, they may just get a little feedback on their product and make some changes.

I see you own an 06, hang on to it. You don't have a good point of reference, 07 and beyond they have been building more for the EPA. 08 emission standards got very tough to meet and now the 2010's have catalytic converter's on them plus AFR on the lean side and EPA CAM's.

Catalytic Converter on a Harley? Excuse me! They cease to be a Harley when you stick that thing in the headpipe! Don't sound like a Harley and don't run like a Harley. May as well buy a Honda,
And therein lies the problem for Harley. Like it or not, they've got to meet EPA standards just like everyone else. They don't get off the hook just because they're an "American" company. I don't like the idea of a cat converter on the bike either but it's presence doesn't surprise me and, in fact, I'm surprised they managed to keep the things off the bikes as long as they have. But to say that it's not a Harley just because these things are being added by the MOCO is narrow minded IMO. From what I've been able to see, no factory stock bike to roll off the dealers show room for the past 10+ years qualifies as a "real" Harley by your definition as the vast, vast majority of them eventually end up with modified exhausts, intakes, and whatever to make them sound and run like a "real" Harley, whatever that is anyway!

I firmly believe there will come a time when Harley will have to abandon much of it's traditional way of building engines (ie: air cooling) in order to meet the requirements of EPA standards as well as the performance requirements of it's customers. It remains to be seen whether or not those who consider themselves to be "loyal" Harley owners will hang in there with the MOCO. I'm sure many will jump ship. Then again, they'll probably pick up a few new folks too once they're building a bike that doesn't require $1500 worth of engine upgrades just to make it perform like it should have when it came off the show room floor!

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

PS: With regards to that last sentence, my bike is still factory stock as far as the engine and drive train are concerned and I've not been unhappy with how it sounds or runs. I wouldn't mind a little more punch under certain circumstances but it doesn't run bad at all.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 01-16-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everybody bitched about electronic ignitions...cant fix em........and what about electronic fuel injection.....no good.....BUT, who would go back? not me. had that crap and i for one love the new stuff. i will not be scared to buy a 2014 harley (about the time i will be able to buy a new one). i hope the MoCo can hang on so that i dont have to buy a honda. had a couple of them too....not in a real hurry to go back.

good luck
scott

Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

They're moving the full trike assembly to York instead of having Lehman doing it for them. Haven't seen/heard about selling anything though.

January 15, 2010

Harley-Davidson announced today that it will move final assembly of its Tri Glide® and Street Glide® trikes to York Vehicle Operations, beginning with the 2011 model year, which launches in June.

Final assembly of these trikes has been performed under a supplier agreement with Lehman Trikes, Inc. in Spearfish, S.D.

"The restructuring of Harley-Davidson’s York operations provides the opportunity for us to build trikes in-house and streamline trike assembly and distribution," said Julie Chichlowski, Harley-Davidson’s Director of P&A Trike Platform Parts and Accessories. "Lehman Trikes has been a responsive, high-quality supplier to Harley-Davidson for trikes and it has been a pleasure to work with them."

Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I think Harley was testing the waters when they came out with the V-rod. Trying to get a feel how the loyal would take to water cooling. They know whats coming and wanted to give a hint of it. I think its clear most people don't like the lack of power , engine heat, and sewing machine sound from the bikes. I for one think water cooling will be the best thing to happen to the motor, if they can hide the radiator. They will be able to build a bigger motor, it will run at a more constant temp, and with water cooling the cylinders and heads , should make the motor quieter. I'm talking about ticks, clicks,and other noises that don't get muffled now. The mufflers will always be changed until they pass a "touch it and die law" .Face it all the other bike makers have had water cooling for years so it works, reliably. Harley has to come up with their version and people will warm up to it. The holdouts will probably buy up all the air cooled bikes and tell all the in the "old days" stories to their grandkids,who are riding FLHTCUIWC's.,,

Old 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I wish that I had a new 2010 Ultra so that I could bitch too. ........... Red of course!

Quick Reply: HD Selling Touring Plant