General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lumper
What about powder coating flat black or satin, will that hold up better to every day weather and normal riding unlike the denims with the inferior clear coat?
There are powder coat guys here who can best answer that. I don't know, but, in general, powder coating is more durable than paint.

Have these issues been addressed or corrected at this point with the denim paints or is it still iffy and maybe better to avoid them for a bike you intend to ride in weather?
Not as far as I know, and I doubt they would be, unless some OEM decided they really needed denim as a factory paint option. I'm guessing Harley only offers it based on the idea that a lot of bikes spend more time in the garage than anywhere else.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Ohrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I had the same problem on my 08 Olive/Black Denim Street Bob....at the tip of the back fender it was severely bubbled and on the front fender around the bottom of the front fender was doing the same. Dealer said the bike was out of warranty and they had never heard of such a thing that it must have been something I had done. I thought maybe mine was just painted on a Friday afternoon or something.

I traded it off before the paint started flaking off, I'm talking bubbles the size of quarters.....This time I went with gloss paint.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
THUND3RHOR5E
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ohrider
Yup, I had the same problem on my 08 Olive/Black Denim Street Bob....at the tip of the back fender it was severely bubbled and on the front fender around the bottom of the front fender was doing the same. Dealer said the bike was out of warranty and they had never heard of such a thing that it must have been something I had done. I thought maybe mine was just painted on a Friday afternoon or something.

I traded it off before the paint started flaking off, I'm talking bubbles the size of quarters.....This time I went with gloss paint.
I have a 2009 Nightster - Mirage Orange Pearl. Guess what? Paint is peeling off of back fender. I got the same song and dance from the 2 dealers I spoke with about it. Obviously, the Motor Company doesn't give a **** about its customers, and that attitude must be mirrored by the dealerships. I'm IRATE that I have to look at my otherwise flawless machine and see the PAINT FALLING OFF.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,557 Posts

My only "problem" with my paint is where my knee bends and my jeans bunch up. That part has been rubbing against the right side of my tank and had made a small shiny spot. It's too bad I can't do something about it.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,492 Posts

since this thread has been brought back up, 3 years, no problems

Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going on 4 years with my bike, no problems with the denim so far(knocking on wood). I'm extremely happy with the pewter denim and if I can help it I'll stick with denim on any future bikes I might own.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
fatbob_08
Novice
Default Bad paint

Heelz
i had the same problem on my 08 fatbob black denem , the front fender was changed by the dealer by force ,i told i would give him all my business . my lowers bubbled and were replaced under warranty. my rear fender which is why i started this post pealed and there was rust under the paint HARLEY would not do anything about it if you look back far enough in my link a ladys name of ann and her email address is there GOOD LUCK , if you send her an email include my link and tell her I TOLD YOU SO HAG . my name was the topic of many meetings . They would not help at all . so i gave up . i have bought my own front fender and took a grinder to the rear one and sprayed them with dollar store paint (flat black ) and i looks and last better and longer the the poor job Harley did . GOOD LUCK

Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 PM
UnBaPtIzEd
Stage I

same issue here w/ my 09 Bob (black denim)... started flaking on the front fender last year, about the size of a quarter, so i pulled it off (liked the fenderless look better anyway). was just wiping her down yesterday and noticed there's now a dime-sized spot on the edge of the rear fender. this is a bike that has been very well-maintained and garage kept. sure i ride from February to December if possible but it's meant to be ridden, just like my car is meant to be driven... but the paint on my car doesn't flake.

another quality job, HD. thanks for the headache!