General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM
fatbob_08
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default denim paint

Originally Posted by skratch
suckered again!!!!.... i've gotta start paying more attention to the date of the op. i've noticed quite a few posts from long ago, but now and again, i'll throw a reply out there without noticing how old it is. arrgh.

and in keeping with the theme of this post, 2 years and counting on my denim as well....
IS IT A FIXTURE IN YOUR GARAGE ? I have almost 50,000 on this bike its an 08 i dont know if people that really ride are the only ones having the problem , just curios how many miles do you have .

Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM
cscoffee
Intermediate

It is definetly not just people that ride. I bought a new 2008 Street Bob in June of 2009 from a military overseas dealer in the U.K.(where I am stationed). I rode about 2,000 miles and then deployed, when I came back in September of 2010 the paint was flakeing down to bare metal on the front and rear fender in huge chunks. I took it to 2 local U.K. dealers to try and get it fixed and they told me they couldn't do anything. This is my first Harley and now I am stuck. I have come to the conclusion that I will just have to get it repainted when I get stationed back in the states. Sucks.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Trainlights
Tourer

+1 Use the Dealers and HD! Don't give up!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob_08
IS IT A FIXTURE IN YOUR GARAGE ? I have almost 50,000 on this bike its an 08 i dont know if people that really ride are the only ones having the problem , just curios how many miles do you have .
no, it isn't. i ride more often than i drive. i have almost 30k on the odometer right now. more than some, not as much as others, but definitely not a garage queen.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
fatbob_08
Novice

Originally Posted by cscoffee
It is definetly not just people that ride. I bought a new 2008 Street Bob in June of 2009 from a military overseas dealer in the U.K.(where I am stationed). I rode about 2,000 miles and then deployed, when I came back in September of 2010 the paint was flakeing down to bare metal on the front and rear fender in huge chunks. I took it to 2 local U.K. dealers to try and get it fixed and they told me they couldn't do anything. This is my first Harley and now I am stuck. I have come to the conclusion that I will just have to get it repainted when I get stationed back in the states. Sucks.
did you file a claim ? call this number and tell them all about it maybe its a problem with just 08's paint look at my pics and see if it looks like that . i was shocked after i removed mine this time for cleaning .
Harley Davidson has just told me they will not stand by there product they will not own up to a paint problem with denim paint , Like this is a surprise. please do me a favor and send emails to this address hd-buellservice@harley-davidson.com with the reff # 1091772 [RQID:1091772]. and call 414.343.4056 and tell ANN how you feel .
Telling them they have just ruined the American dream . anyone want to swap a Harley for a bike that has Quality .

Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
cscoffee
Intermediate
Default Yep

Yeah it looks the same. Looks like yours is denim blue also. I tried that email but it just kicks it back to me and I have no idea how to file a claim, so no I have not. I just took the dealers word and assumed nothing could be done. They like to blame any paint problems here on the salt during the winter, but I tried to tell them that I was deployed and hadn't even rode it during the winter yet. They gave me that 'yeah right' look and let me know there was nothing they could do.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
fatbob_08
Novice

call this number ask for ann and tell her your problems ans start a case #
Harley Davidson has just told me they will not stand by there product they will not own up to a paint problem with denim paint , Like this is a surprise. please do me a favor and send emails to this address hd-buellservice@harley-davidson.com with the reff # 1091772 [RQID:1091772]. and call 414.343.4056 and tell ANN how you feel .

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Over 25K miles on my original tins (I have since swapped out my fenders and repainted my tank) and my Denim looked as good as it did at the dealer. I now have over 6k on my new paint set of the same color and again, no issues. The only reason I suspect that maybe your bike did get into something is the fact that you mention your swing arm is also peeling. Like some have suggested, brake fluid or something similar would be my guess.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM
fatbob_08
Novice
Default bad paint

Yesterday I went to the Harley plant for bike day and took the tour with some friends , around the end of the tour we came to a paint demo stand , and with the help of David showing him the pictures of the paint problem i have I told him all about what Harley said about it and that they would not do anything about it .
Now this kind man had to be a new employee BECAUSE he was really concerned about why a 08 Harley would have a problem and Harley wouldn't MAKE IT RIGHT. SO he took me to another employee and told him ,this man said we don't handle complaints and wanted nothing to do with the conversation Then he gave me the name of the lady that is in charge of the paint line and all concerns with paint problems . she wanted nothing to do with it and said it has to be reported through the dealer ,factory rep and then to Harley Davidson corp .which i have done and they have denied to MAKE IT RIGHT.
I have given up on them doing that cause it would set them back about 250.00 for a new fender with paint .plus they would have to admit there is a problem with the first line of denim black paint . but they don't see the the money i have spent owning a Harley , close to 25,000 in four years.
I wanted to say thank you to the only Person i have met with Harley that was REALLY concerned with my problem . And i pray you don't let the rest of them break your spirit . and I hope you still have a job .

Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
fatbob_08
Novice
Default Bad paint

Yesterday I went to the Harley plant for bike day and took the tour with some friends , around the end of the tour we came to a paint demo stand , and with the help of David showing him the pictures of the paint problem i have I told him all about what Harley said about it and that they would not do anything about it .
Now this kind man had to be a new employee BECAUSE he was really concerned about why a 08 Harley would have a problem and Harley wouldn't MAKE IT RIGHT. SO he took me to another employee and told him ,this man said we don't handle complaints and wanted nothing to do with the conversation Then he gave me the name of the lady that is in charge of the paint line and all concerns with paint problems . she wanted nothing to do with it and said it has to be reported through the dealer ,factory rep and then to Harley Davidson corp .which i have done and they have denied to MAKE IT RIGHT.
I have given up on them doing that cause it would set them back about 250.00 for a new fender with paint .plus they would have to admit there is a problem with the first line of denim black paint . but they don't see the the money i have spent owning a Harley , close to 25,000 in four years.
I wanted to say thank you to the only Person i have met with Harley that was REALLY concerned with my problem . And i pray you don't let the rest of them break your spirit . and I hope you still have a job .

Quick Reply: Denim paint problems?