General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Maimas
Get back to the dealer ASAP!!! That should be covered under the warranty.
Just wondering how you can make that determination without asking questions or knowing the whole story?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newer bikes use DOT5 fluid, it is silicone based and doesn't affect paint. Is the clear coat pealing from the color or is all the paint pealing rite off the metal? Take pictures and send them to Harley's customer complaint dept. Can you post pictures hear for us to see?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WRAITH
Newer bikes use DOT5 fluid, it is silicone based and doesn't affect paint. Is the clear coat pealing from the color or is all the paint pealing rite off the metal? Take pictures and send them to Harley's customer complaint dept. Can you post pictures hear for us to see?
Heelz listed his bike as a 2009 FLHX...The big twins have been using dot 4 fluid since 2006...The xl models went to dot 4 in 2007...dot 4 will ruin a paint job.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Harleyinnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WRAITH
Geezer is right about the newer Harleys using Dot 4. I don't think the denim paint jobs have a clear coat. A clear coat would add gloss to the paint job eliminating the flat denim look

Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Denim paint jobs have a flat clear coat.

What exactly is peeling? Is the basecoat peeling leaving the primer, or is all the paint coming off leaving bare metal? I would think the swingarm is powdercoated, but I could be wrong. Either way, the swingarm is different from the tins. With both peeling, I would suspect environmental factors.

If it's peeling down to bare metal, that would most likely indicate some issue with a contaminant on the metal, poor prep, maybe a faulty batch of primer (rare)...

Is it just peeling in certain areas? Can you peel it off in other areas? Don't worry about screwing it up - it needs to be entirely stripped, prepped and repainted anyway. I've seen peelers where you can blow ALL the paint and primer off with an air hose (mostly on bumper covers though). What about chipping - in the areas where it is not peeling, can you chip it and get it to crack and start peeling?

The bottom line is it's not something HD or anyone else can troubleshoot without actually looking at it. To really determine the cause, they'd then need to send a chip of the paint to the paint manufacturer. Their lab will analyze the sample to determine the exact cause (down to identifying the presence of brake fluid or any other possible issues).

Certainly it's on HD to look at it and make a valid determination as to the cause. If they refuse to do so, contact a lawyer. It would probably be enough for a lawyer to send a letter to the dealer. That would likely be sufficient to convince them to look at it and figure out the problem.

Even if it ends up back on you for some environmental cause - brake fluid, something in your garage... at least you know what to do to prevent it from happening again.

As for the dealer saying you hit it... that isn't sufficient reason for paint to peel. A properly prepped and applied paint job should maintain adhesion much better than that. Look at wrecked cars - you can see body panels all mangled, wrinkled and dented and the paint maintains adhesion in everything but the most severe instances.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior

Sorry, I stand corrected. I up graded my brake fluid to dot 5 when I purchased my XL.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 AM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Denim paint jobs have a flat clear coat.

What exactly is peeling? Is the basecoat peeling leaving the primer, or is all the paint coming off leaving bare metal? I would think the swingarm is powdercoated, but I could be wrong. Either way, the swingarm is different from the tins. With both peeling, I would suspect environmental factors.

If it's peeling down to bare metal, that would most likely indicate some issue with a contaminant on the metal, poor prep, maybe a faulty batch of primer (rare)...

Is it just peeling in certain areas? Can you peel it off in other areas? Don't worry about screwing it up - it needs to be entirely stripped, prepped and repainted anyway. I've seen peelers where you can blow ALL the paint and primer off with an air hose (mostly on bumper covers though). What about chipping - in the areas where it is not peeling, can you chip it and get it to crack and start peeling?

The bottom line is it's not something HD or anyone else can troubleshoot without actually looking at it. To really determine the cause, they'd then need to send a chip of the paint to the paint manufacturer. Their lab will analyze the sample to determine the exact cause (down to identifying the presence of brake fluid or any other possible issues).

Certainly it's on HD to look at it and make a valid determination as to the cause. If they refuse to do so, contact a lawyer. It would probably be enough for a lawyer to send a letter to the dealer. That would likely be sufficient to convince them to look at it and figure out the problem.

Even if it ends up back on you for some environmental cause - brake fluid, something in your garage... at least you know what to do to prevent it from happening again.

As for the dealer saying you hit it... that isn't sufficient reason for paint to peel. A properly prepped and applied paint job should maintain adhesion much better than that. Look at wrecked cars - you can see body panels all mangled, wrinkled and dented and the paint maintains adhesion in everything but the most severe instances.
You are 100% right.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by quig
You are 100% right.
Yeah, well... I worked for a major automotive paint manufacturer for the past 6 years.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

The originator of this thread has never responded to our theories of what is going on with his paint job...I wonder if he found his answer here?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior

Naw, he just flaked off.

Quick Reply: Denim paint problems?