General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic tool set? What should go in it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Basic tool set? What should go in it?

So I realized I have no idea ideas what basic tool I need to do minor things on my bike.
I am sure I am not the only one who could benefit from this information.
I tried doing a search for tool on this site. YOU can only imagine what threads that brought up (think tara's from yesterday )

So if you were building a basic tool set to do maintenance, a quick fix in a pinch, install basic accessories or change out things to chrome what would tools would you have in it?

A couple of things. 1 Assume I have not tools because I do not. 2. Assume you have to explain it to me like you would a kid who doesn't know anything about tools but loves to learn. I am a fairly smart person who loves to learn new things but I am starting at ground zero so the more info the better.

Also are there basic books on motorcycle maintenance that people would recommend:icon_bi ke:?
Thanks a bunch for any info you can provide.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

2 most basic are a set of torx and allen bits which are the primary fasteners used on your bike.

Probably most often used tool on my bike is a T-27 torx bit. If you look on your derby cover they are the star shaped screws. I got a cheap set of Lisle torx bits from Sears. Less than $15 as I recall. They have served me well. Most important thing is to make sure you have the right size bit and that it's completely inserted into the head of the screw. Else you could strip it. Of course you'll also need a small rachet to go with the bits.

You'll also need allen bits also known as wrenches (hexagon shaped). I like the t-handle style I got from Harbor Freight. One end has a wobble tip so you can use it at an angle. I also have a socket version of allens which go on the end of a rachet. Again, always make sure you have the right size and that it's completey seated in the head of the allen screw.

Wouldn't work on a motorcycle w/o torque wrenches. They come in ft lb and inch lbs. I got each at Harbor Freight for $20 on sale.

That's a start.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 01-15-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
2 most basic are a set of torx and allen bits which are the primary fasteners used on your bike.

Probably most often used tool on my bike is a T-27 torx bit. If you look on your derby cover they are the star shaped screws. I got a cheap set of Lisle torx bits from Sears. Less than $15 as I recall. They have served me well. Most important thing is to make sure you have the right size bit and that it's completely inserted into the head of the screw. Else you could strip it. Of course you'll also need a small rachet to go with the bits.

You'll also need allen bits also known as wrenches (hexagon shaped). I like the t-handle style I got from Harbor Freight. One end has a wobble tip so you can use it at an angle. I also have a socket version of allens which go on the end of a rachet.

Wouldn't work on a motorcycle w/o torque wrenches. They come in ft lb and inch lbs. I got each at Harbor Freight for $20 on sale.

That's a start.
And lotsa beer.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 AM
russell6hp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spare fuses. At least two for each size. Spare headlight/tail light bulbs are good as well. Wrap them up in something soft like an old t-shirt or some bubble wrap to keep them from breaking.

Screwdriver that has multiple bits you can change out AND has a decently long shaft on it (3-4 inches or so). Electrical tape, needle nose pliers, regular pliers. Cell phone or calling card.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 AM
PLHbrian
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a site that sells tool kits by model - http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

Contents and Specifications - http://www.cruztools.com/downloads/contentsmc.pdf

To start with just a few roadside tools you should buy the service manual for your bike so you can see what tools you need to change the things that can go wrong on any given day - blown headlight or fuse for example - on my bike the headlight requires just a small headed screwdriver but to get to the fuse panel I have to remove my seat which requires me to unbolt it from the frame with a torque bit - Those two potential repairs put the screwdriver, spare fuses, light bulb and torque bit in my tool kit. I have other tools now for everything like loose mirror and turn signal nuts but these kinds of things I should see and fix before I leave home anyway.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mornin' Ms Liz.

For 1999 to Present - (You can't work on 'em, on the side o' the road, N E waze. )

BUT IF you have an "Older" scoot -

+

THAT'S why they "originally" put saddlebarges on 'em, in the first place. They didn't carry 2 changes of clothes, 2 jackets, make-up kit , ETC.

NOW that you have your eyes open.

Mini MagLite - REMEMBER to change the batts in it, WHEN you change the batts in your smoke detectors. Nuthin SUX worser, than grabbin' the light, NUTHIN but darkness.

Few 4" and 7" Zip ties.
Electrizical tape - GOOD stuff. You can use this for an emergency bungee cord, fender bolt, AS WELL as for electizical issues. Have even used it to hold a headlight in. (7" in a 5 1/2" chopper bucket)

8" WIDE jaw Crescent wrench
6" or 8" Vise grip (I like the Needle nose)
Needle nose pliers and Regular(if room) pliers.
Jack knife style allen AND TORX sets. Actually, I prefer THIS set. They also have the "ball" end.

For Road Trips, a tire plug tool and plugs. Psst, me THINX as a member of the "other" gender, You AINT gonna be pluggin' no tars, Darlin'. Enuff Dirty Ol' Men, will STOP !!!!

For "Run of the Mill" riding, one of the pre-packaged sets, are GREAT starter sets, and you can add what you want, GOOD TO GO, Liz.

REST ASSURED.................THIS works, too.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The "bike tool kits" like windzone or cruztools are a good start for tools to carry with you for roadside repairs. To get a start on tools for for maintenance I recommend picking up a 300 (or more) piece mechanics tool kit that includes combination wrenches, sockets (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"drive) allen and torx wrenches, and screwdrivers. Yes you want both SAE and Metric tools. Also get torque wrenches 3/8" and 1/2" drive Harbor freight has decent ones and they are not expensive ($10ea on sale).

Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duct tape and baling wire Seriously though I think the Gumpmeister has it pretty much covered. Maybe a couple of zip ties?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

If you plan on doing your own oil changes, you should invest in the following:

Oil filter wrench, manual hand impact wrench (you hit it with a hammer) for loosening TORX screws (eliminates stripped screw heads) and a hammer.

A funnel for adding oil would be good to.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LIZDC, for a couple of beers and a good meal most of the guys here will fix your bike for free

Quick Reply: Basic tool set? What should go in it?