General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic tool set? What should go in it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Electra Mule
Thanks Guys... Has Been Fun Reading This Posting. To the Original Thread Idea, MY OPINION.. (Don't Mean a Thing).... is that if you Need the tools explained to you, then DON'T USE THEM...
Only way I will learn is if I start learning...
I do have roadside assistance and will use it anytime I need to but also don't like to count on anyone but me in a bad situation. You just never know when you HAVE to do it yourself.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Marine Trader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you worry about a tool kit? When you pull off to the side of the road, trust me you will have company.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread as I'm putting my tool kit back together for first spring ride to AZ in a week. Liz, don't let the bozo's stop you from putting together a set of tools. I think everyone who rides needs a good basic knowledge of this stuff. The more you use them the more comfortable you'll be. I was in heaven yesterday doing my winter projects, upgrades, and oil changes, then blasting out for a ride.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Liz, everyone is differnt and every bike more so, between my fork bag and my one of my saddle bags i have enough tools to tear my bike to peices and put it all back together again on the side of the road. thankfully for the most part Harleys dotn require alot of differnt tools unliek a car or truck where you kind umpteen difernt sized heads and fasteners in both standard and metric. my current tool kit consists of this

Fork bag
wrench set 5/16-1"
fold up allen key set
fold up torx set
bit type screw driver with differnt sized bits of differnt type * great for space saving*
jb weld quick *4 min set up time 4 hour till fully cured
spark plug socket 13/16 with 4" extenstion and flex head ratchet
electrical tape
6ft of 14gauge wire rolled up
2 sets of spark plugs
short handled adjustable wrench that opens up to 1"
assortment of cable ties

Saddle bag
tube black rtv silicone
1 quart of oil
short 3/8 drive torque wrench
longer cable ties
sockets *1/2 9/16 5/8 3/4*
3/8 drive wobble
3/8 drive ratchet
more cable ties smal roll of duct tape
tire spoons spare tube
3 master links
small roll of mechanics wire *works good as snare wire if your stuck for extended periods*
cleaning/polishing rag and metal polish

if you pack it all right you still have room for a helmet and a pair of chaps i nthe saddle bag
oh and as Gump mentioned i nan earlier thread your bikes HD service manual would be an excelent thign to keep on board

edit to add its a good practice to carry a couple sets of spark plugs both in the size ur bike specificly takes and a size/type that might be used in other bikes as well. and as u use up consumables replace them at the first opurtunity

also in the case of a break down rocker box,cylinder base, carb/intake, aircleaner/carb gaskets can be made fro mthe sides of a cereal box rtv silicone can be used for evry other gasket but primary inspection port, and head. in a pinch a chunk of leather fro ma cheap quality leather vest or jacket can be used for those 2 but only to get you to run and to the nearest gas station.

Last edited by NSCoyote; 01-31-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah forgot to mention an LED flash light, i have one that clips to the brim fo my ball cap and will run full tilt for 8 hours before needing new batterys

Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Trader
Why would you worry about a tool kit? When you pull off to the side of the road, trust me you will have company.
And if they all think the way you do.....He and all his company will be sittin on the side of the road with not tools.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Kickstand#1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that wants me to change out a seat for him on a 2006 Heritage Softail Classic. Should be simple enough, but to be prepared in advance, what will be needed to remove the seat? Thanks!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nevermind.....