General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic tool set? What should go in it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM
pgpn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sears sells craftsman tools in several different size sets with their own case/box.craftsman.com. for road I carry locking needle nose pliers,10'' crescent wrench,electrical tape,multiple tip screwdriver and cable ties. in my opinion you dont need to spend the money for a torque wrench just yet.all of your drain plugs/inspection plates bolts just need a good snug fit. a small air compressor that plugs into a cig lighter.these can be found for cheap. a little air gauge.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liz, I think the previous posters have convered things pretty well. You need two setups. One for the road repairs and the other for home maintenance. The one for home depends on what you intend to do. Also, go to your HD dealer and pick up a service manual. That will help you wade through simple to complex maintenance and upgrade projects.

For the road, one of the most used items I carry is a set of torx and hex allen wrenches. I found some at a walmart or home improvement store (can't recall). They are constructed like a jacknife - several sizes that fold into the plastic handle, about 3" long and 1" square. I use them all the time for simple tightening or adjustments.

I also have another useful tool that goes everywhere with me, but I don't want to close this thread down by describing it... :-) Just kidding, lot's of good suggestions for basic tools you'll need. Oh, one thing I didn't see here. You need a tire air pressure guage. That's something else I use all the time and woundn't be on the road without one.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lizdc
So I realized I have no idea ideas what basic tool I need to do minor things on my bike.
You only need two tools in your bag- WD-40 and Duct tape
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well when i when to technical school i bought myself a motorcycle toolkit from craftsman.. the big one almost 2000$.. since then i have conveted my left sadle bag into a road kit... tire repair, and general tools, spare fuses, bulbs, and an extra belt or chain depending on the bike. plus i keep an extra oil can

also this is a good deal http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94905

Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Mornin' Ms Liz.

For 1999 to Present - (You can't work on 'em, on the side o' the road, N E waze. )

BUT IF you have an "Older" scoot -

THAT'S why they "originally" put saddlebarges on 'em, in the first place. They didn't carry 2 changes of clothes, 2 jackets, make-up kit , ETC.

NOW that you have your eyes open.

Mini MagLite - REMEMBER to change the batts in it, WHEN you change the batts in your smoke detectors. Nuthin SUX worser, than grabbin' the light, NUTHIN but darkness.

For Road Trips, a tire plug tool and plugs. Psst, me THINX as a member of the "other" gender, You AINT gonna be pluggin' no tars, Darlin'. Enuff Dirty Ol' Men, will STOP !!!!

REST ASSURED.................THIS works, too.

thanks for the info
believe me cell phone and money is always the go to for me (plus a tow service but did just find out with my 1 Year old car that NJ (the a**holes) won't let towing services on turnpike. You have to pay there guys first.

On saddle bags??? Not for make up and an outfit that is outrageous. Trust me the natives get restless if I don't get a chance to brush all this hair out after being on my bike so make up kit is needed!!!

And I will never be above flirting for help.. Makes guys feel good to help a damsel in distress.. Learned that a long time ago. I employ the bat my eyelashes strategy anytime it is needed. One funny thing I have found is you have to be careful who you choose. I have had a few times where guys who know nothing about anything stop if you are having a problem just to try and pick you up.. Yah thanks adding a person who can't help and who I don't know when my car doesn't work that is what I need !!

But this list is really helpful thanks a bunch. You would be amazed at how all the how to guys assume you know what tools things take and where things are..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Two years ago, I went to Laconia with my brand new bike and I didn't have a single tool with me!!!! I bought a bunch of accessories and had to borrow tools to install them. Never again! When I came home, I looked at every screw on my bike and bought a bunch of tools to fit thoses screws. I have this little (but heavy!) tool bag that I carry in my saddle bag with me at all times.

I'm now known as the tool lady. Friends come to me when they need something. That is sweet!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

Don't forget a flashlight!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
oltrout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best advice I have gotten regarding tools was to purchase one tool every week. Here in Canada, the Canadian Tire flyer each week is like the wish book. Every week theres either a set of pliers, screw drivers, sockets etc on sale for under $20 bucks. In a short time you'll have enough tools people will think your starting a company. Make sure to buy a good quality tool box too, this is one area not to cheap out on.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

So Liz, have you bought a tool box yet?

Quick Reply: Basic tool set? What should go in it?