General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Coastal Moto Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
mtowner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your wheels accept the stock HD wheel bearing???

Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mtowner
Does your wheels accept the stock HD wheel bearing???
As with most aftermarket wheel companies the stock bearing does not fit in our bearing bore (except the abs bearing). However, we have never had any issues with bearing failure.

The majority of the time bearing failures can be attributed to improper assembly from the manufacturer and also the crush sleeve (center spacer) cut the wrong length.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
mtowner
Tourer

So let say I buy a set of your wheels, get them installed properly by some qualified mechanic who does this for a living and who has installed 2 billion wheels and bearings on motorcycles. I'm getting ready for trip, I walk around my bike do my safety inspection, everything checks out good. I leave on a 600 mile trip see to my mom, I'm 450 miles into the trip and a wheel bearing goes out. I guess I'm totally screwed because I can't take it to HD shop and get the bearings replaced, because of odd ball bearings. Bearings do fail, and not because there not installed correctly.

I like the looks of your wheels, they look great. Love the styles of them.

Last edited by mtowner; 01-15-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor

Yes bearings do fail, however, as stated above the "majority" of the time something else is the cause for premature bearing failure.

The bearings we use are not exclusive to us.

There are 100s of "what ifs" that can happen when we take our road trips none of which are fun to experience when they happen.

Thanks for the compliment on the wheels, much appreciated.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Originally Posted by mtowner
So let say I buy a set of your wheels, get them installed properly by some qualified mechanic who does this for a living and who has installed 2 billion wheels and bearings on motorcycles. I'm getting ready for trip, I walk around my bike do my safety inspection, everything checks out good. I leave on a 600 mile trip see to my mom, I'm 450 miles into the trip and a wheel bearing goes out. I guess I'm totally screwed because I can't take it to HD shop and get the bearings replaced, because of odd ball bearings. Bearings do fail, and not because there not installed correctly.

I like the looks of your wheels, they look great. Love the styles of them.
Same thing that happens if your Baker transmission fails, your S&S motor, or any other non-Harley aftermarket part. You get it fixed.

Did someone **** in your Cheerios this morning?

I fail to see the value in ripping on someone who is asking for feedback on the styling of their new wheel.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
Same thing that happens if your Baker transmission fails, your S&S motor, or any other non-Harley aftermarket part. You get it fixed.

Did someone **** in your Cheerios this morning?

I fail to see the value in ripping on someone who is asking for feedback on the styling of their new wheel.
X 2. I love the wheels! When I do upgrade my DNA's some day, you'll be the first person I look up for a deal on wheels!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
WhiteGoldSG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coastal Moto is the place to go for wheels, as you can see from my sig pic, that is wher I went. I was down in Daytona for Biketoberfest and I just dropped in and Jason and Jeff made me a KILLER DEAL. I am gettin ready to order up my rear wheel this week, since I didnt get it at the time. I was undecided if I should use a smoothie or the matching rear. I'm gonna do the matching since I have done some "upgrades" LOL..You guys will be hearing from me soon!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor

Thanks WhiteGoldSG! We are very glad you are happy and look foward to hearing from you this week.

We are going to start a customer gallery on our website so please email pics when you are done and if any other Coastal Moto customers are out there please email you pics of your bike with the wheels (coastal moto, pm, etc) to jeff@coastalmoto.com

Thanks again

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
surf256
Advanced

Just wanted to give you a shout out on your wheels. I am in the market for some wheels and I like what you guys have on your site, but too rich for my blood.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor

PM sent Surf256