General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE! Loud exhaust tickest anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 03:21 PM
mhendo
Cruiser
Default RE: Loud exhaust tickest anyone?

That does bite big one. I live just about an hour up 95 from you. Ride down to my dads in East Haven so keep us updated on how your buddy makes out.

Old 07-20-2006 | 06:52 PM
Hap_Hazard
Cruiser

Loud exhaust tickets anyone?
Yep, I got a ticket for loud exhaust. But, as Paul Harvey used to say, here's the rest of the story.
I was in my cage, driving down a local street near my house, early on a Sunday morning and was stopped by a radar officer. He looked at my reg. and license and told me I was doing 52 in a 35. He than quipped that " I see you have commercial license," I'll only charge you with a "faulty muffler" Of course I said thank you, and gladly accepted the "loud pipe ticket."

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:52 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: The HalfBreed

From the Long Island town that wanted to BAN cyclists, to those who say "Loud Pipes Save Lives"......

I don't get it. Some folks say they wake up their neighbors when they leave at 6 am, and tell em to F**k Off if they don't lilke the noise, and some folks say their loud pipes make the car alarms go off.

I'm not pro, or con, but, ya can't have it both ways. What would you say if your neighbor woke up your 9 month old child, after you had a long night, because their car had a loud muffler, or none at all? Then, they told you (us) to F**K Off ?

It works both ways I guess. Remember, we live in a society where others rights should be respected as well. Remember, what goes around, comes around.
Lets not be the straw that breaks the camels back. This seems like a backlash from folks who may be tired of the "loud pipes save lives" syndrome.

Think about it !

(Flame suit ON ! )
I appreciate your sentiment, but no muffler is against the law here. My bike is LOUD but I like it that way, and I try to hold it down when I am leaving for work at 4:35 in the morning. But it is like I said--

ORIGINAL: eazy

Kansas has no acoustical criteria for maximun volume of pipes, but does have laws in place that require mufflers (baffles). As long as you have operational baffles in the pipes, according to law, volume cannot be an issue.

Let's keep it that way.
I will leave my bike as it is, try to hold it down, and not be stupid. I understand that you don't want your bike to be loud, but I do, and as long as I'm not being an idiot, what's the problem?

Old 07-20-2006 | 11:55 PM
alazlo
Road Master

The 07 stock exhausts sound good and are legal.. I think you're gonna see fewer folks changing their exhaust in the near future..

Old 07-21-2006 | 12:57 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

My SEII's are just right.....I have motored past numerous LEO's and no response except for 2 who pulled up at the light and said "nice bike". But I don't blast into or out of my neighborhood either. But we have 2 guys in the hood who blast in so nobody notices me. I only rev at lights next to the soccer mom's when they are on the phone & drinking a latte and oh yeah...driving.

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:17 AM
Sean
Cruiser

Good Post. However....the law they are quoting, or starting to enforce applies to all vehicles....so where are the tickets for everyone with flowmasters, magnas and how do we forget all those ricer cages with the folgers coffee can mufflers?? All these are equally illegal by the same law. This is unequal enforcement of a statute and is probably illegal and winnable in court as a class action case.

ORIGINAL: The HalfBreed

From the Long Island town that wanted to BAN cyclists, to those who say "Loud Pipes Save Lives"......

I don't get it. Some folks say they wake up their neighbors when they leave at 6 am, and tell em to F**k Off if they don't lilke the noise, and some folks say their loud pipes make the car alarms go off.

I'm not pro, or con, but, ya can't have it both ways. What would you say if your neighbor woke up your 9 month old child, after you had a long night, because their car had a loud muffler, or none at all? Then, they told you (us) to F**K Off ?

It works both ways I guess. Remember, we live in a society where others rights should be respected as well. Remember, what goes around, comes around.
Lets not be the straw that breaks the camels back. This seems like a backlash from folks who may be tired of the "loud pipes save lives" syndrome.

Think about it !

(Flame suit ON ! )

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:47 AM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

[/quote]
Yep, I got a ticket for loud exhaust. But, as Paul Harvey used to say, here's the rest of the story.
I was in my cage, driving down a local street near my house, early on a Sunday morning and was stopped by a radar officer. He looked at my reg. and license and told me I was doing 52 in a 35. He than quipped that " I see you have commercial license," I'll only charge you with a "faulty muffler" Of course I said thank you, and gladly accepted the "loud pipe ticket."
[/quote]

That was a pretty cool LEO you got stopped by.
I think it depends on one's attitude when getting pulled over. I've been let off with many warnings in my younger fast and foolish days but I was always polite and never once tried giving an attitude, they are just doing their job. If I see a cop car when on the bike I always let off the throttle so it's quieter, no reason to draw their attention.

My slip-on mufflers are loud enough to set off certain car alarms, but I never get on it when leaving or coming home. What's the sense of pissing off the neighbors?

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:47 AM
softail2005
Road Captain

If you check the small print on the SEII mufflers they say "for off road use only". I have a set in my garage off an 05 fat boy which I am trying to sell and noticed the fine print. I suppose that could be all the police would need to see to give you a ticket.

Old 07-21-2006 | 03:11 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

I think it’s funny when most of the “Loud pipes save lives” crowd, don’t wear helmets.

As for, “don’t cops have better things to do?”, no not really. We all have specific areas we are to enforce. If the cop was a traffic unit then his job is to enforce traffic laws. He does not respond to burglaries, petty theft calls, dogs barking, etc.

Now if you were given a ticket for loud pipes and no device was used to test the “loudness” I would take it to court and ask how it was determine your pipes were too loud. As a RADAR operator I can not just guess what your speed is and then write you a ticket for it. There are actual steps that I must go through before I can stop you and write a ticket.

A new law was recently passed in Florida where a cop can write you a ticket for your stereo being too loud if he can hear it a certain distance from your car, I think it is 15 feet. (don’t quote me I don’t write those ticket, I have better things to do. )

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:04 AM
monkyman
|
Outstanding HDF Member

To those responding if my freind got a ticket, NO, not a ticket, he has to get his bike re-inspected for defective exhaust. Yes, he could put stock exhaust back on it to pass, and that is exactly what they want him to do. And yes, he could put the V&H back on after it passes, but some towns have already spent the money on Decible meters and you know they are going to have to get that money back in tickets not warnings.

Quick Reply: UPDATE! Loud exhaust tickest anyone?