General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE! Loud exhaust tickest anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 07:16 AM
AceHog
Road Captain
Default RE: Loud exhaust tickest anyone?

Personally I don't care for loud, however in this case I would not get it tested and challenge the ticket in court as burden of proof is on the state. I would ask for a trial with the officer present and find out what method he is using as hearing can be very subjective.

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:38 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

It was only a matter of time. 20 years ago I also thought my straight pipes where cool, but as I got older/wiser I realized drawing attention with loud pipes is not a good thing.

This is not a jab to all those with straight pipes or the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" crowd. Its goes to those that think its fun to rap the exhaust leaving the house in the morning, rapping the pipes next to cars in traffic, or any of the other things I use to do and still do on occasion[8D]

NY State troopers are also writing tickets for "not factory" pipes, whatever the F that means[:@]

Yes boys and girls, we have seen the enemy and the enemy is us

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:51 AM
WillieC
Road Master

So far no tickets in my town as far as I know.

I like loud pipes and have V$H on mine. But I do think we need to have some descretion
when around populated areas.
We are only screwing ourselves if we p1ss off neighbors etc. I am always amazed when I
pull up beside someone in town with drag pipes and they have this need to keep rolling on the throttle
as though it was some kind of macho thing to do. I let it fly in the country or when I am away
from populated areas. But in town or around my neighbors I keep it down.
If the police and local govt keeps getting complaints we will all be running stock or paying
large fines and/or losing our prividlege to ride.

You can say 'F' it but we are only hurting ourselves.

WillieC

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:57 AM
sctusa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: The HalfBreed

From the Long Island town that wanted to BAN cyclists, to those who say "Loud Pipes Save Lives"......

I don't get it. Some folks say they wake up their neighbors when they leave at 6 am, and tell em to F**k Off if they don't lilke the noise, and some folks say their loud pipes make the car alarms go off.

I'm not pro, or con, but, ya can't have it both ways. What would you say if your neighbor woke up your 9 month old child, after you had a long night, because their car had a loud muffler, or none at all? Then, they told you (us) to F**K Off ?

It works both ways I guess. Remember, we live in a society where others rights should be respected as well. Remember, what goes around, comes around.
Lets not be the straw that breaks the camels back. This seems like a backlash from folks who may be tired of the "loud pipes save lives" syndrome.

Think about it !

(Flame suit ON ! )
No flames here. I agree 100%. Good post...

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:18 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Halfbreed, you're right on. The younger I was the louder my pipes were. I've finally got to an age where I am more considerate of other people and I now ride with stock pipes. It doesn't diminish the "Harley" experience one bit and I feel alot more comfortable showing respect for other people.

Old 07-20-2006 | 12:46 PM
ronster
Road Master

I have the python II's - i would take them off to pass a db reading and then bolt rhem back on when done. i can play this game.

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:59 PM
venture33
Road Master

I coast out of the neighborhood in the AM. Just being considerate. But there are some folks who will complain about anything and everything. Others may just have an agenda...don't like bikers, complain about pipes.
If the police targeted loud car stereos, it could be considered by some to be racial profileing. Go figure.

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:00 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

I find it unfair that they give you a ticket just judging by ear! They sould have devices to make those parameters numeric values, not matter of personal judgement...

Next time they give you a ticket for a loud pipe without a decibelmeter, ask them also to give you a diagnostic on your bike's engine based on the way they sound or you might as well get the correct musical tone in which you bike is playing from the DMV officer! hahaha

A Harley without a decent loud pipe is just a Singer sewing machine!

Regards.

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:24 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

That's a bummer Monkeyman, especially since I ride in CT a lot![:@]

I have V&H Staggered Duals and their no where near as loud as most bikes I ride with. I have been thinking that my V&H pipes are looking pretty shabby and I was just thumbing through my Drag Specialties catalog and looking at some Python III's.

I might have to re think that move!

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:54 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

You make good points, Halfbreed. I just wish neighbors, city councils and police had a much vigor in clamping down on 5000 watt car stereos playing that dreadful, awful, rap crap.

Quick Reply: UPDATE! Loud exhaust tickest anyone?