General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE! Loud exhaust tickest anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006 | 10:48 PM
Islander
Tourer
Default RE: Loud exhaust tickest anyone?

No criteria in the law here. I know many of the LEOs here. Most ride.
Had one LEO pull up next to me at a light, roll down his window and shook his head "yeah", then smiled ear-to-ear when I cracked the throttle.[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6723/20687111573F4018B5D56CD4BC6975E1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-19-2006 | 10:59 PM
monkyman
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Did the cop check your bud's exhaust with a decibal meter?Did he write down the brand of pipes?
If no to the above, think he can get away with putting the stock pipes back on for the DMV check?
NO, he has to bring it to the DMV to have the decible level checked, and of course the bike was bought used at a dealership with the V&H pipes already installed, so he dosn't have the origanals. I told him to pack the baffles with steel wool or fiberglass to try to quiet it before he goes in. Our decible level is 80 from 50 feet away at 35 mph. not sure how they test this, but i'll know in a week or so. he says if it doesn't pass he'll sell it and give up riding. He's pretty upset.

Old 07-19-2006 | 11:17 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I probably need to look into something along those lines also. My bike is louder than I thought it would be.
I get a lot of nasty looks..

Old 07-19-2006 | 11:27 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't gotten a ticket for pipes since the late 70's, and then it was just a local neighborhood cop that didn't like me.

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:43 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I've not been checked yet, but I'm still waiting to pick up my ride from the shop. I wish they'd spend as much time cracking down on cars with over-sized speaker systems or drivers with cell phones glued to their frickin' ears as they did worrying about bikers.

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:57 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

There's way too many other issues here for the police than to worry about loud pipes. They just aren't concerned.

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:59 AM
anubisss
Banned

I got a loud exhaust ticket in Venice, CA. I had the option loud exhaust or a speeding ticket. Exhast isnt a point on my license. Oh well. I'm going to change back to stock, and change back to screamin eagle.

Old 07-20-2006 | 04:07 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

From the Long Island town that wanted to BAN cyclists, to those who say "Loud Pipes Save Lives"......

I don't get it. Some folks say they wake up their neighbors when they leave at 6 am, and tell em to F**k Off if they don't lilke the noise, and some folks say their loud pipes make the car alarms go off.

I'm not pro, or con, but, ya can't have it both ways. What would you say if your neighbor woke up your 9 month old child, after you had a long night, because their car had a loud muffler, or none at all? Then, they told you (us) to F**K Off ?

It works both ways I guess. Remember, we live in a society where others rights should be respected as well. Remember, what goes around, comes around.
Lets not be the straw that breaks the camels back. This seems like a backlash from folks who may be tired of the "loud pipes save lives" syndrome.

Think about it !

(Flame suit ON ! )

Old 07-20-2006 | 04:29 AM
Islander
Tourer

ORIGINAL: The HalfBreed

From the Long Island town that wanted to BAN cyclists, to those who say "Loud Pipes Save Lives"......

I don't get it. Some folks say they wake up their neighbors when they leave at 6 am, and tell em to F**k Off if they don't lilke the noise, and some folks say their loud pipes make the car alarms go off.

I'm not pro, or con, but, ya can't have it both ways. What would you say if your neighbor woke up your 9 month old child, after you had a long night, because their car had a loud muffler, or none at all? Then, they told you (us) to F**K Off ?

It works both ways I guess. Remember, we live in a society where others rights should be respected as well. Remember, what goes around, comes around.
Lets not be the straw that breaks the camels back. This seems like a backlash from folks who may be tired of the "loud pipes save lives" syndrome.

Think about it !

(Flame suit ON ! )
I'd say..........er...........uhm.............uh...... ......F**K Off!

Just kidding.

Seriously, I say if my neighbors don't like it, they can frekkin' move. (actually they just did!!!)
I put up with a lot of crap/noise/boom-boom-boom all hours of the night from their unruly-punk-wannabe-brat kids. They can grin and bear a little MC noise when I motor out and in.

BTW, just found out my new neighbor is the general manage of the Budweiser distributing company here. woohhooo!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6723/DB5BDA3F76D2432AA3A0C29C389F6B69.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-20-2006 | 04:51 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: monkyman

I don't know about you guys, but here in Connecticut they are going crazy with exhaust laws. West haven will fine you $250 for any aftermarket exhaust they deem loud, my co-worker got pulled over in Wallingford friday night at 8:30pm, just going by himself to get a ice-coffee after a hard days work for defective equiptment. He has V&H pipes with baffles and was just cruising, not getting on it. He has 20 days to get it checked for decible reading at the DMV, it passes or he loses his reg.
1) So he got a DE Tag and he didn't get a ticket for being loud right?

2) what is the law word for word?

3) if the police do a decible test at what is the RPM, what is the Decible limit and what angle and distance is the decible at?

4) make sure at DMV the test is do right, It wouldn't hurt if you freind went to a shop that has a decimeter to get a reading also. Sometime errors are made when the test is done in the state's hands.

In the town I live in the Cops do not have a meter and they will not write a ticket out for the pipes but will threaten to charge you with criminal mischeif and disturbing the peace.

Quick Reply: UPDATE! Loud exhaust tickest anyone?