General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a SE Ultra but cant!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Cozmic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newby here, and just my 2 cents from experience and observation over the years-

Back in the day (especially with cars), limited meant "made to order". In other words, they only made them if they were sold and ordered. When there were no more orders and the model year elapsed, they didn't make them any more. (Regulars were made constantly with the HOPE of selling them.)

Nowadays with cars, bikes, etc they plan and make a certain number of the limited edition first and then move on to making regulars. After the limiteds are gone, they are gone.

Great site, by the way!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a 2010 SE Ultra on ebay right now, but it is red.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Red!!!! Ewww!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 PM
oddtodd
Intermediate
Default SE Ultra here

There is one of the SE ultra's you want at my local dealer here in southern MI, I look at it a couple times a week, the work here in MI has kept me from jumping on it.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

People will find just about any reason to bash the MoCo:
Back in the '90s when you had to be on a couple year waiting list, people complained that they should make enough bikes to keep up with the demand
Now that the market is saturated with Harleys, and you have 30some models to choose from, people complain about that.
When they put out the 105th anniversary model, they only made a limited number of those, but people complained that they looked like a Duracell battery and dealers couldn't get them off their showrooms (shame 'cuz I own one and think it's gorgeous).
Now that they're making some limited edition models that people actually want and their isn't enough of them to go around, people complain some more...

Excuse me, but I say screw the whiners and kudos to Harley (or any company that has) for staying in business for over 100 years. I'm sure they didn't make it this far making the whole world happy.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Greatful_Ed
Cruiser

SE models are not built "on the line" with the normal Ultras. EAch Screaming Eagle Bagger is hand built by three guys at the York plant in a building completely seperate from the assembly line bikes. They do have a "limit" as to how many they build. Pretty cool stuff. If you ever get the chance you should take the York Plant tour.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
People will find just about any reason to bash the MoCo:
Back in the '90s when you had to be on a couple year waiting list, people complained that they should make enough bikes to keep up with the demand
Now that the market is saturated with Harleys, and you have 30some models to choose from, people complain about that.
When they put out the 105th anniversary model, they only made a limited number of those, but people complained that they looked like a Duracell battery and dealers couldn't get them off their showrooms (shame 'cuz I own one and think it's gorgeous).
Now that they're making some limited edition models that people actually want and their isn't enough of them to go around, people complain some more...

Excuse me, but I say screw the whiners and kudos to Harley (or any company that has) for staying in business for over 100 years. I'm sure they didn't make it this far making the whole world happy.
That just about sums it all up!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,091 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Red!!!! Ewww!
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatful_Ed
SE models are not built "on the line" with the normal Ultras. EAch Screaming Eagle Bagger is hand built by three guys at the York plant in a building completely seperate from the assembly line bikes. They do have a "limit" as to how many they build. Pretty cool stuff. If you ever get the chance you should take the York Plant tour.
That is what I've been thinking all night, just wasn't sure it was still done that way.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats more of a magenta. Aint it?

Quick Reply: Want to buy a SE Ultra but cant!!