General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a SE Ultra but cant!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most dealers can (and most do) sell the CVO models (especially the baggers) for well above MSRP. Usually, at least in my area around 4k above MSRP. The logic is that they only get a small number of them and on the CVOs there are almost always most customers willing to spend that cash than there are bikes to sell. Even in this economy, every CVO model we got into the dealership I work at was spoken for before the cratte was taken off the truck.

Getting a dealer to send a CVO bike to your dealer is unlikely. When another dealer trades to your dealer they do so at invoice, they don't get the additional mark-up. It happens but it it is rare for a dealer to send a CVO to another dealer. I wouldn't be surprised if your dealer called the other dealers and they told them they wouldn't send them their CVO models regardless of whether or not they had a deposit on them or not. Your best bet would be to contact those dealers directly (or any others in a reasonable distance) and see if they don't suddenly have one available to sell to you.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When I worked at the Ford plant they had a Limited Edition Gran Torino. We made as many as people who wanted to pay for them! Just a different/more powerful/shinier piece here and there, and a chrome LE badge. Again, no big deal. 'Limited' just meant there weren't quite as many as the regular production model. We didn't get to a certain number and quit making them if we had an order!!! Good grief!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
When I worked at the Ford plant they had a Limited Edition Gran Torino. We made as many as people who wanted to pay for them! Just a different/more powerful/shinier piece here and there, and a chrome LE badge. Again, no big deal. 'Limited' just meant there weren't quite as many as the regular production model. We didn't get to a certain number and quit making them if we had an order!!! Good grief!
now don't be questioning harley's (even though flawed) business practices........people will jump all over you in here for doing that.
Ask me how I know.......

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member

'Limited' just meant there weren't quite as many as the regular production model.
Unfortunatley for the people that want them, with H-D limited actually means there is a limited number of them. I don't have the numbers for 2010. I did find the numbers (worldwide, not just domestic) for some of the 09 CVOs:

Softail Springer 2500 units
Fat Bob 2450 units
Ultra 4200 units
Road Glide 3000 units

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

just spend the 26K on t-shirts and fingerless gloves

Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Location: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The New MOCO Business Strategy:
1) Sell all the Chrome Do dads and Clothing we can.
2) Since we glutted the market for the last 5 or so years with bikes, we'll just cut back on those and ship em to India instead........................................... ........

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Attitude Adjustment

Originally Posted by schumacher
yeh, if I had customers willing to pay 26K for a bike, I'd tell'em too bad, we don't need yer money

I paid over 32K for a 2010 Harley and didn't even get a T shirt! Same deal, no bike on the floor and had to run through 4 or 5 dealers!

I believe they will have to rethink their sales procedure before this recession is over!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RKKY
Unfortunatley for the people that want them, with H-D limited actually means there is a limited number of them. I don't have the numbers for 2010. I did find the numbers (worldwide, not just domestic) for some of the 09 CVOs:

Softail Springer 2500 units
Fat Bob 2450 units
Ultra 4200 units
Road Glide 3000 units

Aren't ALL 09's limited to a certain number of units? They make a certain number then start making the 2010's!! If they can sell more of a certain bike why the hell don't they? It's not like its a limited run Ansel Adams print or something!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
propane_peddler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
What the crap is wrong with HD? no wonder they have problems. I talked to my dealer and decided to trade in my 09 Ultra on a 2010 Screamin Eagle Ultra, the Umber and Citrus color which i totally love. Well........they can locate two in the state and both of those have deposits on them. As to their allocations, they say they dont know if MOCO will give them one. What is up with their allocation program or whatever they call it. My word, if I want to buy a new Ford, no big deal, I go to the dealer, order what i want and bingo....in 6 weeks its here. But with HD, NO!!!!

Seems to me, if someone wants a particular bike, if I were MOCO, i'd say sure.... we'll plug it into the system, make one, ship it, and another Harley sold to help their bottom line. Cant figure those people out. Rotten way to sell bikes. Go figure!!!
I hate to sound like a smart ***, but don't you remember the 80s and early 90s when buying every Harley was like that? You didn't get one if you didn't order it a year in advance and they ALL were limited. Those were the glory days for Harley AND Harley owners. I wish it was like that yet, all our bikes would be worth what they used to be.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member

Aren't ALL 09's limited to a certain number of units? They make a certain number then start making the 2010's!! If they can sell more of a certain bike why the hell don't they? It's not like its a limited run Ansel Adams print or something!!!
Yes, but the regular models are limited by demand. They have projected numbers they start with but they can adjust it as needed. If for some reason (not that it has happened in the last couple years) depends shoots up around March they can make as many as they want until it's time for the next years model. With the CVOs they limit the production run to a specific number when the model is introduced. It's actually more restricting than limited edition art prints. I worked for Wyland back in the early 90's and if a particular image sold out, they would release in a different media. For example as soon as a lithograph was about to sell out, they would introduce the same image in another limited edition in a cibachrome or other medium.

Quick Reply: Want to buy a SE Ultra but cant!!