Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best buy on bike?Ind,Ohio,Ky??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
CCNitro
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best buy on bike?Ind,Ohio,Ky??

As some of you know I am buying a new bike, Ultra classic to be exact.
I am being told the the HD dealers in Kentucky work on commision, which means more money for a bike right.? and I was told the dealers in Ind doesnt get commision, but the taxes suck. and now Im being told that I should be going to Ohio for the best buy on a new bike,(no commision and lower taxes.)
My 1st question is there any truth to this? thats why Im here asking you guys, 2nd, should I call around and quote the dealers in surrounding states?? or does anyone know with past experiance where to get the best deal.
I wouldnt care to drive a half day or so to save a few dollars, I just dont want someone retiring on my purchase, & then finding out that I could of save a $grand$ by going over a state or two.
Thanks.
Chris...:c onfused:

Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

My son and I went to 4 dealer here in mid central Ind and we got the best deal at Indy north..bought both at same time and he gets LEO discount there. That made it hard to beat at the others...
Ind has .07% sales tax on top of that.. but not sure how it works for out of state buyers,
check with Ur state laws before buying...don't want to pay both

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I think if you are from out of state you wont have to pay the taxes where you bought it but only the state you register it,the selling dealer will send the paper work to your state but I never bought a new vehicle in another state so I could be wrong but I would think you would not pay sales tax in both states.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
dabirds1
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCNitro
I am being told the the HD dealers in Kentucky work on commision, which means more money for a bike right.? and I was told the dealers in Ind doesnt get commision, but the taxes suck. and now Im being told that I should be going to Ohio for the best buy on a new bike,(no commision and lower taxes.)
My 1st question is there any truth to this? thats why Im here asking you guys, 2nd, should I call around and quote the dealers in surrounding states?? or does anyone know with past experiance where to get the best deal.
I wouldnt care to drive a half day or so to save a few dollars, I just dont want someone retiring on my purchase, & then finding out that I could of save a $grand$ by going over a state or two.
Thanks.
it doesnt matter what state you buy your new bike in as far as taxes go you pay your tax on the bike in the state that it is registered in not the state tax where you buy the bike

Old 01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyardscrounger
I think if you are from out of state you wont have to pay the taxes where you bought it but only the state you register it,the selling dealer will send the paper work to your state but I never bought a new vehicle in another state so I could be wrong but I would think you would not pay sales tax in both states.
Indiana will collect the tax at registration....no getting around them I am aware.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess we hit the tax issue! LOL Sorry, didn't see the above before posting.

I bought at HD Plainfield, IN but I remember getting the best deal at the Vincennes HD. Used them shamelessly to get Plainfield close and since they had my black RKC in stock they got the purchase.

Get a firm out the door quote from one and most will fax you a hard quote for competition. Those that won't, probably aren't hungry anyway.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CCNitro
Thanks.
I'm in southern Ohio...you should give Baxter's H-D in Bidwell a call...740-446-6336...a good old fashioned honest dealer, and the only place I'll ever buy again...nothin to lose but a phone call...good luck to ya...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
CCNitro
Novice
Talking Thx

Thanks, I will check on the tax crap tomorrow. I have sent out many e mails requesting quotes on the bike I want with the options I would like to have, I will see what I get tomorrow. Also, Thanks for the >>QUICK>>> response, this is a real cool site!!!
Respectfully,
Chris...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Try Mann's in Edinburgh IN. 812-526-3485 ask for Rich. I bought a few from him he did me OK. They must be competitive people come from all over and buy there.
I didn't know Vincennes had an HD dealer? Good Luck

Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
CCNitro
Novice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by *night train*
i'm in southern ohio...you should give baxter's h-d in bidwell a call...740-446-6336...a good old fashioned honest dealer, and the only place i'll ever buy again...nothin to lose but a phone call...good luck to ya...

thx ! Will do !

Quick Reply: Best buy on bike?Ind,Ohio,Ky??