General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine differences Dyna/Softail

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine differences Dyna/Softail

Found a used Softail Standard that I am interested in for purchase. I know it has the solid mount counterbalanced engine vs rubber mount on the dyna. I have test ridden a couple of dynas but not a softail. Hope to test ride this one this week.

What am I going to feel as far as hp and torque differences. I know the softail is down on hp a little bit due to the counterbalanced engine but is it enough to feel in the normal riding rpm range? Is the torque differences significant? Really like this particular bike. Just trying to get a heads up on what I can expect on a test ride.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ridden both. no real "seat of the pants" difference... Only thing you will notice is engine vibration at idle. the softail is super smooth, dyna will vibrate more.

Highway speeds (70MPH+) you will get a little bit of "buzz" from the TC96B in the softail.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Steve. I test rode my friends 08 WG and it was super smooth up to 80mph. I can handle a little buzz I think. Anxious to try this bike. May just have to pull the trigger if it rides out nice!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the softails ride nice. The buzz at 75+ is so small its not a big deal..the rubber mounted bikes shake like crazy at a light where my Softail Standard is baby smooth

Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ain't got no stinkin' buzz, although I've had older softails that had some.

My guess is that you won't notice any.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I'd guess a coulpe #'s of TQ and HP... never really noticed a buzz at 70-75 mph.
I knew Evo owner that did, maybe the crusiers do but never in our Heritage.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
I'd guess a coulpe #'s of TQ and HP... never really noticed a buzz at 70-75 mph.
I knew Evo owner that did, maybe the crusiers do but never in our Heritage.
My Twin Cam Fatboy doesn't have a buzz at 70-75 mph either.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The softail ride is a little more refined, Dynas are a little lighter but the Twin Cam 88 is a bulletproof motor, I love mine and would not want a Dyna after riding mine. I have ridden my buddy's Dyna, we traded bikes on a ride one day last summer. He headed straight to the dealership to price Softails.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife likes her Softail Deluxe a lot better than the Dyna Streetbob that she had. Says the Deluxe doesn't vibrate as much when riding. She also says she can handle it much easier. She can ride farther on the Deluxe also and it doesn't wear her out as fast.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MGN54
Found a used Softail Standard that I am interested in for purchase. I know it has the solid mount counterbalanced engine vs rubber mount on the dyna. I have test ridden a couple of dynas but not a softail. Hope to test ride this one this week.

What am I going to feel as far as hp and torque differences. I know the softail is down on hp a little bit due to the counterbalanced engine but is it enough to feel in the normal riding rpm range? Is the torque differences significant? Really like this particular bike. Just trying to get a heads up on what I can expect on a test ride.
The softail will ride way better....... the 88B is super smooth. I have a friend that says his has a small buzz but thats only when hes doing like 90+ Want a smooth bike? buy the 88B The softails the best bike harley ever made!

Quick Reply: Engine differences Dyna/Softail