General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face or Modular (Shoei or Schuburth)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 221 Posts

I've worn flip up helmets for many years, including BMW's first System 1 and 3, (made by Schuberth) along with a Nolan, a newer Schuberth with the internal sun visor, and now Shoei MultiTec. I've had the mis-fortune of wrecking while in one two different times, the chin-bar remained latched like it is designed to. (Both were System helmets).
The advantages of a flip-up over a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet are obvious to anyone. Verses a full-face, they're easier for those wearing glasses and you can raise them up to talk, take a drink, etc.
Of the two I have now, Schuberth, and MultiTec, I prefer the Multi-Tec. The Multi-Tec is almost effortless in the way it opens and closes and it's single release button in the center is intuitive. The shields are quick and simple to change. I have a clear, light tint (used most of the time) and dark shield. The Schuberth is longer, probably because of it's visor behind a visor, and just feels more massive. I thought I'd like the sun visor but I don't. It only partially drops down and the contrast of looking slightly up through a dark and clear shield, then straight ahead or down through just the clear shield, is somewhat distorting for me. I hadn't heard jimmers "deep sea diver effect" description of the Schuberth before, but is accurate.
They are both good quality helmets. My advice would be to try them both on taking time to operate them a few times and go with the one that "feels" right to you. Oh, what color?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Shoei multitec have a chin skirt on it to block the noise and air? I think that's probably a superior design to my HJC symax II which doesn't have one. I get some reverb up into the helmet from the pipes at times.
Yes, it does come with an accessory chin curtain, but I don't use it. It just never gets that cold out here, and as for noise, I wear earplugs. I don't get any reverb at all from under the helmet, which may be more a function of the windshield height/seat height/my height relationship than anything else. Those issues are always tricky.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
iachia
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take a look at this website:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed...s/Products.htm
In the helmet review section you can find the review for both the shoei and the schuberth.
Personally I use a schuberth J1 (3/4 with a chin guard) and I'm very happy with the overall quality and quietness.
My girlfriend has a shoei multitech and she likes it a lot but I haven't tested one myself.
One thing I like a lot about the schuberths is that they have the internal sunshade wich I find very usefull.
On the other hand the shoie has recesses for bluetooth headsets speackers wich is very usefull too (at least to me).

Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
elevenbravo78
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Be cool and get a retro open face from Biltwell. Yeah I know not DOT just put a sticker on it lol.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got mine off uhelmets.com. Paid less than $62.00 for a modular full face. Not a fan of DOT lids,but gotta wear one on the military base I work on and I don't like to pay too much for something I don't really want. Just saying.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Xzotik
Advanced

I have a brand new Black Graphite Nolan N-103 with J&M integrated Bluetooth, still in the box. (Size Large.) I purchased it thru Shawn at Dr. V-Twin, who still has it, as I am currently out of the country.

If anyone would like it for $120 less than the internet price that J&M sells it for, let me (or Shawn at Dr. V-Twin, 888-DR-V-TWIN, WWW.DRVTWIN.COM ).

Check it out:

http://www.jmcorp.com/NolanHelmetsBlue.asp

Old 01-24-2010, 05:05 PM
fatbob123
Road Captain

Bought the c3 this weekend - love it - matt black