General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face or Modular (Shoei or Schuburth)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

and I'm glad I have a sperm count of 1. If it wasn't that low, I'd probably have a thousand kids by now

Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Tharbour
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wear perscription glasses, the modular is the way to go. I don't care what people say, I don't want to be one that didn't make it.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,107 Likes on 5,313 Posts

I wear a Shoei Multitec (modular). While pricey, it was still less expensive than a Schuberth, and there didn't seem to be clear justification for the price difference. I've worn it in all weather, including across the Mojave Desert in July, and been perfectly comfortable. It has better ventilation that you would imagine. It also has a pretty wide field of vision.

Three points: 1) No modular helmet is Snell approved, as Snell does not test modular helmets. If you do the research, you will find that there is a body of opinion that states that NOT having a Snell rating is an advantage. 2) As to opening in a crash: the hooks that hold the chinguard closed are usually metal on the more expensive modulars, while one or both may be plastic on the cheaper versions. 3) If I'm not mistaken Schuberth uses a larger outer shell than Shoei for a given helmet size, lending their helmets a bit more of the "deep sea diver" effect. If you care.

As to "dorkiness": People may think I look dorky with a ff, and that's fine. So far, no one has had sufficiently poor judgment to actually say so, which is a good thing because I'm too old to go rolling around in parking lots. Unless I'm wearing my ff helmet, of course.

Last edited by OldBoldPilot; 01-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Some riders worry about the damnest things. They ride a motorcycle, the most dangerous form of transportation on the road and yet worry about the remote possibility of a modular popping open.

I was at a dealership with my wife and she was talking to another woman, who along with her husband, was looking at an HD brand modular helmet. I walked over and they were showing me how solid the "click" sounded (I didn't think so) when it locked into place. The woman, while tugging on it, managed to drop it from a height of around three feet onto a carpeted floor. When it hit the ground the chin bar popped open and was broken one one side with a small piece of plastic lying the floor This, from almost no impact at all. I trust they are not all like this but it didn't leave a very good impression.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Originally Posted by 10ring
I was at a dealership with my wife and she was talking to another woman, who along with her husband, was looking at an HD brand modular helmet. I walked over and they were showing me how solid the "click" sounded (I didn't think so) when it locked into place. The woman, while tugging on it, managed to drop it from a height of around three feet onto a carpeted floor. When it hit the ground the chin bar popped open and was broken one one side with a small piece of plastic lying the floor This, from almost no impact at all. I trust they are not all like this but it didn't leave a very good impression.
See Point #2 in my post above.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
See Point #2 in my post above.
Good point. I don't know what the locking parts were made of or if the plastic piece was from the locking mechanism itself, or maybe a vent tab or some such. With a busted helmet on the floor I didn't stick around.......
Overall that helmet just seemed to be cheap quality based upon my very brief exposure to it.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Originally Posted by 10ring
Good point. I don't know what the locking parts were made of or if the plastic piece was from the locking mechanism itself, or maybe a vent tab or some such. With a busted helmet on the floor I didn't stick around.......
Overall that helmet just seemed to be cheap quality based upon my very brief exposure to it.
With a few exceptions, the FXRG being one, the HD helmets are re-branded versions of less than top-of-the-line stuff. The FXRG Carbon is a terrific helmet, but it can be bought much more cheaply online in its original HJC packaging.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems to me if the modulars had a history of popping open under real life accident conditions they wouldn't be on the market very long due to product liability lawsuits. Anybody know of one?.

I would also think an under the chin hit is going to snap your neck anyway whether you're wearing a ff or a modular. In that case, doesn't much matter if the modular pops open or not.

Not of any concern to me since I usually wear a 1/2 helmet anyway. Certainly protects my handsome face better than one of those.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your information guys and now its decision time - i am going to try both on again - in an ideal world would be as follows - schuberth r5 ff or agv stealth ff / schuberth c3 / and my hd 3/4 (actually there are probably nicer 3/4 lids but i sort of jumped into buying this one) - forget the tin lid 1/2 helmets as they offer bugger all protection at all and in my eyes you may as well wear a plastic boal on your head. The half helmets are for posing not practical at all

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
I wear a Shoei Multitec (modular). While pricey, it was still less expensive than a Schuberth, and there didn't seem to be clear justification for the price difference. I've worn it in all weather, including across the Mojave Desert in July, and been perfectly comfortable. It has better ventilation that you would imagine. It also has a pretty wide field of vision.

Three points: 1) No modular helmet is Snell approved, as Snell does not test modular helmets. If you do the research, you will find that there is a body of opinion that states that NOT having a Snell rating is an advantage. 2) As to opening in a crash: the hooks that hold the chinguard closed are usually metal on the more expensive modulars, while one or both may be plastic on the cheaper versions. 3) If I'm not mistaken Schuberth uses a larger outer shell than Shoei for a given helmet size, lending their helmets a bit more of the "deep sea diver" effect. If you care.

As to "dorkiness": People may think I look dorky with a ff, and that's fine. So far, no one has had sufficiently poor judgment to actually say so, which is a good thing because I'm too old to go rolling around in parking lots. Unless I'm wearing my ff helmet, of course.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Shoei multitec have a chin skirt on it to block the noise and air? I think that's probably a superior design to my HJC symax II which doesn't have one. I get some reverb up into the helmet from the pipes at times.

Quick Reply: Full Face or Modular (Shoei or Schuburth)