General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face or Modular (Shoei or Schuburth)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

You guys who haven't survived one are only speculating.
I survived one. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be speculating anything.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of you folks want to really look like a Power Ranger, get the Shoei X-11 in Monza Red. I figured if I am going to wear FF then I might as well be visible ...real visible. The helmet itself is great. Unless one is truly wall-eyed there is no way that vision will be reduced, it only seems so because one isn't used to a FF. The exception being looking down, where the chin bar can interfere if the helmet is not rotated forward/down to a sufficient degree. It has superior venting and is very quiet. It doesn't suffer from buffeting.
Having survived a tumble and slide down the street and smacking a curb with my FF-helmeted head so hard that the helmet cracked, I can attest to the value of a chin bar: mine was partially sheared almost through in a couple of places. Although the Schuberth modular is certified, I don't know whether the test is geared to stress on the mechanism of the bar or only the penetration tests of the shell material itself.
I'm sure Schuberth makes a good helmet and the S-1 appeals to me.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I prefer modular. I tried a ff once and I could not get it off fast enough as I am very claustiphobic. I am able to toolerate a modular and have two of them an HJC and a Caberg. The HJC is DOT and Snell approved and Caberg (gutes Deutche Helm) follows the Euopean standard but I doubt that I will be stopped for wearing a non-DOT helmet unless I get mouthy with the nice Officer.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a Shoei and love it, on my second one. it is very light compared to HJC and others, except Schuberth, I wear mine all year long. My buddy has one that rides CC at least 1x a year and swears its the quietest one on the market. I like the built in sunvisor too. But pricey, when I was thinking of getting one, if I remember right they werent selling them in the US anymore, you had to order them from Europe

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted

Last edited by Snarly; 01-27-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
1200lady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ffhelmet

Schuberth are no more expensive than a Arai but rated better. I am from Europe and have a Schuberth ff but want a modular too. They are rated for the crazy riders that do over 100+ all the time on the autobahn. While you could always be the % that gets hurt or dies no matter what helemt is on your head- I think my head is worth the money. Individual choices we all must make.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

I like Power Rangers, thank you very much. Most of them ride too.

.. and I agree a full face with a tinted shield can look cool...and I am from NH where we dont have to wear more than shades.

Individual choice, 80% of the time I wear an Arai, 20% nothing, depends where I am going and the pace.

This spring I will be buying a blue tooth equipped Element, full faced helmet from O'Neil, for tunes and cell phone use.

It's what I want.

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 PM
NEVETTE
Cruiser

Fatbob 123, to your original question, i beleive that the shoei modular is rated dot but not snell because of the locking mechanism. If the schuberth has the higher european rating, then it seems that it's the one to go with. I wear a shoei rf 1000 and it is very comfortable.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Some riders worry about the damnest things. They ride a motorcycle, the most dangerous form of transportation on the road and yet worry about the remote possibility of a modular popping open.

I say buy the most comfortable, best fitting, and least expensive helmet you can find and stop splitting hairs over stupid meaningless crap like how a helmet performed in a controlled experiment in a laboratory like dropping if from a ladder or whatever.

The only way to find YOUR helmet is to try on a bunch of different makes and models. Should be snug when new but not painful to allow for breakin.

I prefer a modular over a FF because I'm a bit claustrophobic and I like being able to pop the front to talk or catch a breather. Modulars, as a rule, tend to be more noisy than FF models. I have an HJC symax II which cost me about $250 and serves me just fine.

My wife wears a HJC FF and loves it. Says it's quiet and comfortable. We both also have 1/2 helmets.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Some riders worry about the damnest things. They ride a motorcycle, the most dangerous form of transportation on the road and yet worry about the remote possibility of a modular popping open .
like I said, I don't wanna be that exception
I never have a reason to pop up the face anyways.

Quick Reply: Full Face or Modular (Shoei or Schuburth)