General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I need new riding buddies --

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:13 AM
timvan
|
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I need new riding buddies --

I normally ride with the same 2-3 guys, have been doing so for many years.

This year my wife offered to get all of us a room for bikeweek, just as a go have fun with your guy friends long weekend. Not 1 of these guys "can go" Ive heard man its still going to cost a few hundred $$ (he loves camping at the small rallies), man I have a paper due for school. (for real, you cant do that before you go?)

I know id be all over going if one of them offered a room, am I wrong?

How do you guys meet new riding friends while juggling work and a family?

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:21 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't always feel like you have to have a riding buddy to go anywhere. When you're with friends you've ridden with for a while, I know how easy it is to get use to them being there and ready to go but I can see how 3 people can all of as sudden have something come up that would keep them from ridding, unless you ticked them off for some reason.

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:23 AM
MTGlide
Cruiser

It can be tough for people to get time off of work, time away from family, etc. Don't worry about it and just go by yourself, that's what I do. You might even enjoy it more because I think you meet more people when you're riding alone.

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:26 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

Ya know your missing the point here....IF I were you I'd take the wife. You can get a lot of milage out of that.

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:28 AM
timvan
|
Road Warrior

I dont feel that I have to have a buddy to go, just makes for a better time imo. No, I didnt tick them off..nor do I expect them to drop everything at a whim but this is over a month out and basically a paid for trip...

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:32 AM
timvan
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by The Old Man
Ya know your missing the point here....IF I were you I'd take the wife. You can get a lot of milage out of that.
Did that last year...she has to work and we cant find anyone to take care of our son for the 3-4 days. Trust me I offered

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:36 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain

You might want to check with your local HD and see if there is an active HOG club. You can meet some folks there. Also, ask about other riding groups in the area. Go on some rides with them and see if you click with anyone. Our HOG chapter is very good for bringing in new riders. Not too many young (20's) folks, but all ages are represented. ABATE is another group you could check out.

You could also post your city on this forum and ask if there are any folks that would be interested in doing a ride with you. Most of the forum members are friendly and would be glad to meet you somewhere to do a ride. You might build a friendship.

+1 on the wife too.... mine is my best riding partner. Also, going on your own is fun if you can meet some other riders at the ralley. I like doing some cross country trips by myself, with my wife and with other guys.... each is different.

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:42 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
This is probably the best response I have seen this year!
Very good advice!!

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:44 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timvan
I dont feel that I have to have a buddy to go, just makes for a better time imo. No, I didnt tick them off..nor do I expect them to drop everything at a whim but this is over a month out and basically a paid for trip...
No offense intended. We just don't know everyone's situation. It's most likely your riding buddies just outright couldn't make it for a legitimate reason. I would love to find someone in my area to ride with but I gave up a long time ago. I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't stop at biker bars to try to look cool so that leaves out about 99% of the guys around here.

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:48 AM
pounder35
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sometimes I feel the sameway

It's hard to get people to agree on doing stuff specially if there merried lol

well I live close to Atl in Woodstock Let's meet sometime Always looking for someone to ride with.

Later

Quick Reply: Think I need new riding buddies --