General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian rider's vs american rider's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010 | 12:45 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

I grew up in Ontario and have lived in the States for about 12 years now. A couple of things I noticed.:

In the US, a case of beer is a 12 pack, in Canada its 24.

The healthcare is not as free as most Americans think, and its not that great either.

In Canada, they have better beer, but to pay $50 for a case of beer and a pack of Smokes is ridiculous, I'll stick with Busch...

In Canada you only have to be 18 to drink (19 in some places). Great, but then you get to be 30 years old and suddenly your bars are full of little kids.

The Border Crossing at Queenston or Lewiston is awesome when heading north. As soon as you cross into Canada I swear that the air smells fresher.

Canadian beer is cheaper in the states than it is in Canada.

Just a couple of things I noticed.....

Old 01-12-2010 | 12:48 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member

I trained with some snipers, I think they were from the PPLR (princess Patricias light regiment). All I can say is "WOW"!
BUT... They (the canadians) think they speak french. Honestly, I don't understand a word of what they say. That's not french at all.

Old 01-12-2010 | 12:58 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote=rodnock;6083624]
Originally Posted by 66impala
Going into Canada at Niagra Falls, at 1a.m., me and my buddy were loaded up with gear for a week of riding. Boarded agent asks, do you have and weapons or drugs, what are your intentions while your here (vacation), ok go ahead, it was no more than 45 seconds. Coming back home it was a 20 minute interview, they separated me and my buddy and checked both of our stories out.

Going INTO Canada back about 20 years for dinner in London, Ontario, got stopped and separated and the girls got strip searched (by a woman agent). Took 3 hours to get into Canada. Was too late by then to make it to London so we went to some small town an hour outside Windsor. Went back into States in Detroit and Customs agent said "How was you ride and Have a nice night*.

Going into Canada a year after 9/11/2001. Got stopped by Canadian Customs again. Wanted to see 185 pieces of ID and asked 400 questions about where we were going.( We were going to Boston through Buffalo). Four hours later we went int US through Buffalo and the border agent asked where we were going and let us in without even asking for our ID.

Going back to Detroit we went around through Ohio instead of putting up with the hassle of Canadian customs.

Gotta say that most all Canadians I have ever talked to or had dealing with were very pleasant and funny as hell ( especially when intoxicated).
Well you know why the hassle on each side of the border is like it is. No fault of Canada or USA, it's a sign of the times. And your referance to an incident 20 years ago, which was around 1989 makes me think there was something that you may not be aware of that sparked the search. I live at the border and cross quite frequently, no hassle, well with the exception of traffic. Both sides like to ask questions, but if you don't listen closely and give a awkward answer, you may well be stalled for awhile. jmo

Old 01-12-2010 | 01:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchman
I trained with some snipers, I think they were from the PPLR (princess Patricias light regiment). All I can say is "WOW"!
Hey Frenchman,
I've heard about those dudes. I was at a recrutment booth a while ago, they have the actual 50 cal that was used in the "worlds longest sniper kill" on display. They'll let you pick it up and handle it and take a look at it. I did, then I signed up, problem is, they don't seem to want 50 year olds, they want the kids in their 20's.

This according to wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper

The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,430 meters (2,657 yd, or 1.51 miles), accomplished by Master Corporal Rob Furlong, a sniper from Newfoundland, Canada, in March 2002 during the war in Afghanistan. Furlong made this record-breaking kill while he was participating in Operation Anaconda. He was a member of the 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). To make the kill, he used a .50 caliber BMG (12.7 mm) McMillan TAC-50 bolt-action rifle.[18]

Old 01-12-2010 | 01:41 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

Being from Buffalo, I spent plenty of time on the Ontario pennisula "back in the day" (great golf courses). I haven't been there in over 5 years because of the 2 or 3 hours it takes to cross the Queenston/Lewiston bridge. I don't want my bike idleing that long. The Peace Bridge is a little better.

The only place to buy beer is The Brewers Retail and it isn't cheap. (or is it now called The Beer store?)

BTW. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is 100x's better than the state side.

What a country!

Old 01-12-2010 | 03:55 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain

"Our women aren't very good at peeing in the woods or on the side of the road."

Speak for yourself only my friend. That's one of the things I love about my wife! She ain't too prissy!

Oh sh*t! Come to think of it she was born in Ontario, Canada. Maybe it's in the genes!

Old 01-12-2010 | 04:16 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Damage_Inc
Our military doesn't buy their equipment from a garage sale! This thread is in jest but this post rubbed me the wrong way. We are limited that's true but this is mainly due to a very large American watchdog that sees to it that we do not have anything too fancy. Our training is second to none and the last time I checked, our boys are coming home in boxes from the Middle East just like yours!
Lighten up Francis. It wasn't a dig on your military, and said nothing about the people in your military. It was in jest, in keeping with the thread.

Canadian warships are old US warships. Most of the *major* equipment in use by the Canadian military is old US gear.

Old 01-12-2010 | 04:17 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
I'm glad someone else said something. The troll that posted that message is a complete a-hole and totally out of line. Every week we're reading in the newspaper of more canadians dying in the "war" in the middle east. Then you have to put up with retards like that dick head who has the odasity to disrespect our military. I am 100% sure that no true American would ever disrespect any of the armed forces from any country who support them, fight along side them and die with them. That a-hole is not a ture representation of an American in my opinion.
Apology accepted.

Old 01-12-2010 | 05:09 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
I personally think that since there is only TWO countries in N America..we should abolish the border and have just one BIG country...that way I would be free to move to Arizona or Nevada without having the headache of immigration!

Old 01-12-2010 | 05:15 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Lighten up Francis. It wasn't a dig on your military, and said nothing about the people in your military. It was in jest, in keeping with the thread.

Canadian warships are old US warships. Most of the *major* equipment in use by the Canadian military is old US gear.

Actually most of our major equipment isn't American anymore. It's just cheap manufacturers surplus lol

And yes I agree. This is a fun thread no one should take offense to it and just lighten up.

Quick Reply: Canadian rider's vs american rider's.