General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian rider's vs american rider's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010 | 05:12 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Been to Canada twice once on honeymoon 1969 we took the Eastern Townships Autoroute no speed limit and was passed by a Vette doing well over 100 mph,we were doing 85 mph.Then to Sanair Drag strip 10 yrs ago,never thought much about speed limits just went the flow.

Old 02-24-2010 | 01:00 PM
dragpipe
Tourer

i cant believe i just read 20pages of us bashing each other in good fun, and no fights!
im impressed. by far the best post i have read in the 2 yrs ive been a member. some real funny stuff!
as far as quebecers go, i cant stand them.
they are rude, arrogant and a huge embarrassment to the rest of canada.
i have a million reasons so iknow what im talking about.
the only good ones move to canada,(ontario, new brunswick, ect)
they are by far the rudest peope i have ever met from anywhere.

the only difference i see between us is that canadians dont seem to stand up against our government when they do something that affects us. raising taxes, price of gas, certain laws, the whole french language b.s., ect... the government does whatever it wants and we bend over and take it.
the americans dont. you guys are far more vocal than us about protecting youre rights and freedom.
we are more passive than you by nature. except for the french, and thats why they get their way everytime.

Old 02-24-2010 | 01:16 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

I run into Canadian bikers all the time up here in Montana. They are a great bunch. Love to ride, and especially love the twisties. Very hospitable and enjoy conversing about their bikes, their country, and their love of riding. I've ridden up there a number of times. The biggest difference. They pay way too much for Gas. And you buy it by the liter vs the gallon. So, when my first trip up there I saw a sign for gas at $1.65, I thought, what a deal. Then reality hit, when I found out that was the price per liter... Geez, that's some pretty spendy fuel. It takes 3.7854118 liters to make a gallon, so at $1.65 per gallon, I think it comes close to $6.25 per gallon. Now this was a couple of years back so I don't know what the current rate is, but I was a little shocked at that little difference. The one thing many of them have told me is that they love to ride here because of the condition of the roads. They say they are much better maintained here, especially the two laners that we all love riding.

Old 02-25-2010 | 08:11 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Better beer? Meaning ‘better’ macro swill? Unibroue is the only Canadian beer that I’m aware of that is what I would consider ‘better’ beer…..if you dig Belgians. You guys may have some nice micros up there, but I’ve never seen them down here.

Old 02-25-2010 | 09:32 AM
Paco001
4th Gear

The only difference is we ride your bikes.... lol

Last edited by Paco001; 02-25-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:37 AM
Paco001
4th Gear

Last edited by Paco001; 02-25-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:39 AM
Paco001
4th Gear

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
I rode with a couple Canucks a couple years ago and they loved riding in the twisties 20-30 mph over the speed limit. They said that in Canada they dare not do that. If they did in Canada and a cop caught them they could confiscate their bike. I ran into a Canadian couple a month or so later and they confirmed that and refused to believe that I could speed 90 mph on the interstate and not have to worry about my bike being confiscated by the police.

Is this really true? Will they confiscate for speeding offenses?
In Ontario if you are 50km or apx. 30 mile/hr over the speed limit they confiscate your bike, car what ever your riding and you also loose your licence for a week. So my southerly brothers keep that in mind when going through Ontario. Other than shitty rules like that the riders are very simmilar just big brother has more rules up here north of the border.

Old 02-28-2010 | 08:14 AM
Clipper
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Better beer? Meaning ‘better’ macro swill? Unibroue is the only Canadian beer that I’m aware of that is what I would consider ‘better’ beer…..if you dig Belgians. You guys may have some nice micros up there, but I’ve never seen them down here.
Ohh... and elitist beer drinker!!!

Old 04-09-2010 | 07:26 PM
Old Navy Salt
Stage III

I'm Canadian and did 21 years in the Canadian Navy. Did Shore Patrol in places like San Francisco, Dan Diego, Pearl Harbour etc. A few years ago my new wife and I did a trip from Northern Canada where we live to San Francisco and back up the Pacific Coast Highway. Had a really good time showing babe the sights ( hey, it was San Francisco, you can see everything on the streets there from a Missionary to a murder!) and enjoying some really GOOD sea food at the Fisherman's Wharf. Babe had never been through the USA on a Harley before ( or any other bike either) and was quite impressed. She came to the same conclusion about Canadians and Americans as I had many years earlier working with my USN counterparts; when the chips are down, we look after each other. My uncle died in WWII fighting against the ***** in Italy, he was a paratrooper in the First Special Service Force, known to the Germans as the Devils Brigade. It was a brigade size group of soldiers, half from Canada and half from the USA. Today we continue the collaboration as our troops fight alongside USMC and US Army personnel in Afghanistan. We're neighbours in the largest sense, we may have disagreements from time to time, but when we need each other, we know we can depend on each other. Remember when the Revolutionary Guards took over the US embassy in Tehran in '79. A buddy of mine was working at the Canadian Embassy there at the same time and was instrumental in helping our ambassador smuggle 6 Americans out of Iran back then ( Canadian Military Police provide the embassy guards for our diplomatic missions abroad). I like to think that if a group of Canadians were ever in the same boat, our America allies would do the same thing.

Old 04-10-2010 | 08:05 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

Devil's Brigade made into a great flick in 1968.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1awwAgU_t8

Quick Reply: Canadian rider's vs american rider's.