General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian rider's vs american rider's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010 | 04:02 PM
rborsholm
Advanced

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Can't speak to the eastern parts of Canada, but I was born and raised in and around western Washington state and it got to the point where we just quit visiting Canada. Friends and relatives would come to visit and we would just say here, take our car and go for it.

Victoria was the worst. You could tell they really didn't like you but still wanted your tourist dollars. Oh, and speaking of that, back in those days the dollar was worth much more than the Canadian dollar but every merchant tried to screw you on the exchange. Got so bad we would just exchange the money at a local bank before we went to visit.
You are clearly under 70 years old. You are a little confused about Victoria - they really don't want your money - they just don't want anybody less that 70 years old as you move too quick, talk too quick, can drive properly. Most people here look at riders as bowling pins to be knocked down. That is why so many of us take the COHO ferry and get our behinds down to Washington. Nothing like a cruise through the North Cascades in the summer.!!

Old 01-16-2010 | 02:42 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

America- Macho Cops
Kojac, Magnum P.I., Walker Texas Ranger
Canada - Macho Cops
Dudley Do-Right

America- our women swallow (for diamonds)
Canada - ALL our women swallow (got us on that one)

America - USMC
Canada - RCMP

America - We have snow
Canada - ALL we have is snow
America - we have more beer
Canada - we have more BETTER beer

America - we love riding our Harley's
Canada - we love riding our Harley's

geez...not much difference at all when you get right down to it.

Last edited by DZLDR; 01-16-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2010 | 07:01 AM
cactus789
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bikes
The biggest difference I can think of is, we don't pay their prices. And we think prices are high in the USA. Other than the cost of everything difference, a lot of Canadians I've spoken to think Americans are a bunch of cry babies. Always complaining about something. I also know they don't like us much in Quebec.
Don' take it personally they hate everyone, especially their fellow Canadians.....

Old 01-16-2010 | 08:39 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skydrifter
What the people that want Quebec to be it's own country don't understand is they need the rest of Canada more then Canada needs them.
I grew up in a french area in New Brunswick Bilingual, went to french school, when it came time for me to leave town i high tailed it to Ontario...Much nicer than Quebec...Don't get me wrong, i have a lot of friends from Quebec and know a lot of good people from Quebec but the "All french deal all the time" is pushing it a little too far for me. Went to Toronto and being bilongual gave me premium pay for Sales jobs,,,Now i need to learn freaking Spanish with all the Mexicans moving this way it will be the 2nd official language and maybe i can get a raise for that too....Canadians and American are the same...

Old 02-17-2010 | 11:59 AM
Beattle55
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rborsholm
You are clearly under 70 years old. You are a little confused about Victoria - they really don't want your money - they just don't want anybody less that 70 years old as you move too quick, talk too quick, can drive properly. Most people here look at riders as bowling pins to be knocked down. That is why so many of us take the COHO ferry and get our behinds down to Washington. Nothing like a cruise through the North Cascades in the summer.!!

You got that right.

A group of seven of us even almost got wiped out by a jerk driving an RCMP cruiser on the Malahat the last trip down island. The moron did a three point turn right in front of us, and I had to get on the gas to avoid being run over when he backed up in the middle of the u-turn!

Old 02-17-2010 | 12:25 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I grew up in a french area in New Brunswick Bilingual, went to french school, when it came time for me to leave town i high tailed it to Ontario...Much nicer than Quebec...
Yep, you got that right. I live on this side of the bridge and spend a lot of time in Ontario, like Welland county speedway, Good people. The only bitch I have is the bridge. Ever since 9/11 it's been tough to sit in 2mi's of backup on my hog in the heat. One of the reasons I like the water cooling on my Triumph.

Old 02-17-2010 | 01:46 PM
Barnaclebill
Intermediate

Met my Canadian girlfriend on a trans Atlantic cruise last year. Been going up to Toronto (actually London before she moved to TO and talk about snow, London has plenty) and she comes down to Connecticut to see me. She love Americans and says everyone down here are so very friendly towards her. I feel the same way going up there. And I am having the time of my life exploring Canada. It's truely a beautiful country. Just a short wait at the boarders and yes, more of a hassle coming into the US than coming into Canada. But not much. The big difference is they (at least she) tends to call my Harley a motorbike instead of a motorcycle like we do. Oh yea, one more thing........ I hate those French Fries with Vinegar......yuk! Loads of ketchup is the way to go.

Old 02-17-2010 | 03:11 PM
SavannahBob
Tourer

Originally Posted by D6CS
I never mind when our American friends make fun of our Military and our equipment and all that ,because I remind them of their attempt to invade Canada in the war of 1812. Huge failure and as it happens the only Americans to make it into Canada were POWs , but as it happens many times "once foe now friend" and we stand shoulder to shoulder to fight terror and promote freedom.
PS
Our beer is still better than yours , and apparently the American Junior Hockey Team is better than ours ?????
And the Canadian Navy had (has?) beer onboard! I got drunk as a monkey on the HMCS Onondaga back in 1970-something, down in Rosy Roads, PR. Enlisted mess forward torpedo room, officers mess aft (I think...)
Good times were had by all, huntin' Commies for Mommy!

Old 02-17-2010 | 04:06 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

I love Rum, Captain Morgan to be exact. Guess I drink too much at times but I got the Can. Navy to Blame! I was pres. of our Navy League, the sponsoring body for Seas Cadets. We were invited to take a sail on one of the new figates, afterwards party time, open bar. I ordered a CC & Coke, sorry no CC, well any whisky will do I said. sorry no whisky. The lineup was getting antsy and their was a few snickers. A guy whispered, what ever you do don't ask for a beer. Give me what everybody else is drinking I said and he half filled a water glass with Morgan and passed it to me. Those mothers can drink, what a party!The rest is history.

Old 02-17-2010 | 04:53 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by SavannahBob
And the Canadian Navy had (has?) beer onboard! I got drunk as a monkey on the HMCS Onondaga back in 1970-something, down in Rosy Roads, PR. Enlisted mess forward torpedo room, officers mess aft (I think...)
Good times were had by all, huntin' Commies for Mommy!
yeah i think 91 was the last year for booze on board "legally"

my dad trained on the onadaga in the 80's and served on the okanogan till we got posted out west damn i loved the lines of them bubble noses

and us canadians have "beaver tails" a delicous treat good enough t oshare with the whole family

oh yeah pay no mind to the quebec, they arnt actully a usfull part of canada except St catherine st in montreal. every town should have one of them

Last edited by NSCoyote; 02-17-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Canadian rider's vs american rider's.