General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian rider's vs american rider's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010 | 10:48 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

The biggest difference I can think of is, we don't pay their prices. And we think prices are high in the USA. Other than the cost of everything difference, a lot of Canadians I've spoken to think Americans are a bunch of cry babies. Always complaining about something. I also know they don't like us much in Quebec.

Last edited by shortride; 01-15-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2010 | 10:53 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by scootertramp
"Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
I personally think that since there is only TWO countries in N America..we should abolish the border and have just one BIG country...that way I would be free to move to Arizona or Nevada without having the headache of immigration! "

I guess Mexico isn't considered a country?
Are you kidding. I don't want to share anything with Q.C.

Old 01-15-2010 | 11:07 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bikes
Are you kidding. I don't want to share anything with Q.C.
Me no compendre senor.....

Old 01-15-2010 | 12:11 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iceman336
Originally Posted by boomer
Canada is a pain in the A** to get into, if you have any screw up's with the law.
In the US they say just came on in just ask anyone from AZ CA or TX.
I would have to argue that point. US Customs and Immigration can be a real pain to deal with...but then so can Canada Customs. It matters not which way you're headed, there will always be a dickweed with a badge and a swelled head trying to throw his weight around...
I've been in Canada for business and pleasure trips. I've never had any significant issues coming or going but as a general rule, I've always felt more scrutinized trying to get back in the US than while entering Canada. The last time I was in Canada was a week ago. Entering Canada was a non-issue, especially considering it was a work related trip. Re-entering the US was a PITA with the extra security in place because of the recent terrorist activity. All things considered though, we didn't mind too much!

Originally Posted by bikes
Other than the cost of everything difference, a lot of Canadians I've spoken to think Americans are a bunch of cry babies. Always complaining about something. I also know they don't like us much in Quebec.
And they're probably right. We've got it so much better than the vast majority of the world yet we still find plenty to complain about. My experiences with the folks in Quebec have generally been positive ones although I have run into a few that were less than helpful, I think, because I'm not fluent in French. I had the distinct impression that they could speak English but simply refused to. I could be wrong about that. I've also met a number of Canadians outside of Quebec, especially on the eastern side of the country, that don't have much use for those in Quebec for the same reasons so it goes both ways!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 01-15-2010 | 12:20 PM
Beattle55
Cruiser

"And they're probably right. We've got it so much better than the vast majority of the world yet we still find plenty to complain about. My experiences with the folks in Quebec have generally been positive ones although I have run into a few that were less than helpful, I think, because I'm not fluent in French. I had the distinct impression that they could speak English but simply refused to. I could be wrong about that. I've also met a number of Canadians outside of Quebec, especially on the eastern side of the country, that don't have much use for those in Quebec for the same reasons so it goes both ways!"

You are absolutely right! They can speak English, but refuse to. Out west, we must have both French and English on all packaging. In Quebec, English signage is illegal!

Old 01-15-2010 | 12:42 PM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master

Originally Posted by LEFTCOAST CARL
i can't help but think that our southern brothers aren't riding right now in florida,georgia,etc....
Your brothers may not be but your sisters sure are!

Old 01-15-2010 | 01:08 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Beattle55
You are absolutely right! They can speak English, but refuse to. Out west, we must have both French and English on all packaging. In Quebec, English signage is illegal!
Yeah, I got an ear full about that from some folks I was working with in New Brunswick last summer. In New Brunswick, they're required to put up signage in English and French because of all the political BS from Quebec yet Quebec refuses to respond in kind and even passed legislation outlawing the use of English under similar circumstances.

I guess it's not surprising. From what I understand, if Quebec had it's way, it would be a separate country, independent from their English speaking brothers and sisters. Sounds to me like we Americans don't exactly have a monopoly on "being a little full of ourselves" after all!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 01-15-2010 | 01:38 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
That difference right there is enough to sell me. Whenever I listen to a Canadian pontificate there is almost always some anti handgun posturing and I think they are highly misinformed about the RKBA and a little scared, judging from the statements that they all seem to parrot. i.e., "The government is our friend. Why wouldn't we trust it? It only wants what's best for us. etc."

Well I don't know were you met your "Canadians" but I have yet to know anyone that sprouts that BS! lol

Old 01-15-2010 | 02:07 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
That difference right there is enough to sell me. Whenever I listen to a Canadian pontificate there is almost always some anti handgun posturing and I think they are highly misinformed about the RKBA and a little scared, judging from the statements that they all seem to parrot. i.e., "The government is our friend. Why wouldn't we trust it? It only wants what's best for us. etc."

Originally Posted by MilesJ
Well I don't know were you met your "Canadians" but I have yet to know anyone that sprouts that BS! lol
You won't hear that kind of of talk from anyone around here that's for sure.

Old 01-15-2010 | 03:48 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Yeah, I got an ear full about that from some folks I was working with in New Brunswick last summer. In New Brunswick, they're required to put up signage in English and French because of all the political BS from Quebec yet Quebec refuses to respond in kind and even passed legislation outlawing the use of English under similar circumstances.

I guess it's not surprising. From what I understand, if Quebec had it's way, it would be a separate country, independent from their English speaking brothers and sisters. Sounds to me like we Americans don't exactly have a monopoly on "being a little full of ourselves" after all!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
What the people that want Quebec to be it's own country don't understand is they need the rest of Canada more then Canada needs them.

Quick Reply: Canadian rider's vs american rider's.