General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian rider's vs american rider's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 04:13 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

A kill from 2,430 metres
Michael Smith and Chris Wattie
National Post
© 2002 National Post Online
National Post Online is a Hollinger / CanWest Publication.

The United States wants to give two teams of Canadian snipers the Bronze Star, a decoration for bravery, for their work in rooting out Taliban and al-Qaeda holdouts in eastern Afghanistan, but Canadian defence officials put the medals on hold, the National Post has learned.

The five snipers spent 19 days fighting alongside the scout platoon of the United States Army's 187th "Rakkasan" brigade last month, clearing out diehard fighters from the mountains near Gardez in eastern Afghanistan.

The Americans were so impressed by the Canadian snipers that they recommended them for medals after the battle.

Sources told the Post that U.S. General Warren Edwards had already signed the recommendation for five Bronze Stars for the sniper teams, drawn from 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, last month. Gen. Edwards, deputy commanding general of coalition land forces in Afghanistan, had recommended three Canadians for a Bronze Star and two for a Bronze Star with distinction.

The night before the troops were to be awarded the medals, about three weeks ago, Canadian military officials in Ottawa put the decorations on hold, according to a U.S. Army source in Afghanistan.

The Canadian military told their U.S. counterparts to wait before awarding the medals for reasons of "Canadian protocol."

Spokesmen for the Department of National Defence would not comment on the award last night, but a source within the department said the medals are on hold while the military decides whether or not to award the men a similar Canadian decoration.

However, Dr. David Bercuson, director of the Centre of Military and Strategic Studies at the University of Calgary, said the real reason for the delay was likely official squeamishness.

"Canadians don't kill -- they don't even use the word kill; that's the problem," he said. "I think the military is not sure that the government is prepared to accept the fact, let alone celebrate the fact ... that Canadian soldiers do sometimes end up killing people."

Many of the U.S. scouts who worked directly with the Canadian snipers were incensed that the Canadians did not get the Bronze Star, the medal for bravery the U.S. military usually gives foreign soldiers serving alongside its troops.

The snipers themselves, all of whom spoke on condition their names not be printed, have said they would prefer to receive a medal from their peers in the field rather than from National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa.

Dr. Bercuson said there should be no objection to Canadians receiving a U.S. decoration: As recently as the Gulf War, two Canadian CF-18 pilots were given the Bronze Star.

He said the medals would be a badly needed boost to the morale of the almost 900 Canadian soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan, especially after four of their comrades were killed and eight others wounded in last week's friendly fire incident.

"Absolutely they should get it," Dr. Bercuson said. "It would be good for the morale of the guys and good for the morale of the whole unit, and they need a morale boost right now."

Canadian snipers were reportedly outstanding in the fighting around the mountainous al-Qaeda bastion east of Gardez, code-named Operation Anaconda.

The battle pitted the two Canadian sniper teams against an enemy that showered the assaulting coalition troops with mortars and machine-gun fire as soon as they jumped from their helicopters.

One member of the team, a corporal from Newfoundland, said on his first night in combat he and his partner got an al-Qaeda machine gun in their sights as it was hailing bullets down on U.S. troops below.

Crawling up into a good position, they set up their .50-calibre rifle -- the MacMillan Tac-50, a weapon the corporal compares to having superhuman power in your hands. "Firing it feels like someone slashing you on the back of your hockey helmet with a hockey stick."

When he hit his first target, an enemy gunman at a distance of 1,700 metres, he said all that ran through his mind was locating his next target.

"All I thought of was Sept. 11th and all those people who didn't have a chance and the American reporter who was taken hostage, murdered and his wife getting the videotape of the execution; that is my justification."

A master corporal from Ontario, the lead sniper of his three-man team, said when they first landed in the combat zone "our spider senses were tingling.... It was night and we didn't know what to expect."

By daylight, after coming under enemy machine-gun fire, he managed to ease his rifle barrel between two rocks and quickly located an enemy sniper hiding behind a small piece of corrugated steel between two trees. He guessed the distance at 1,700 metres and fired one shot through the metal, killing the man instantly.

He said afterward he remembered thinking: "That's one less bullet that's gonna be coming at us, one less person we have to think about."

During the next four days of fighting, the Newfoundland corporal set what is believed to be a record for a long-distance shot under combat conditions, hitting an enemy gunman at a distance of 2,430 metres.

The days of crawling, shooting and long hours waiting in cover left the Canadian snipers exhausted. "You don't realize what you've done to your body and how tired you are till it's all done. I think we slept 14 or 15 hours when we got back," the master corporal said.

Three of them, along with U.S. special forces soldiers, also rescued a company of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division that was pinned down by enemy fire on the first day of Operation Anaconda.

They also participated in Operation Harpoon, with Canadian troops on "the whale," a mountain overlooking the Shah-e-Kot valley where al-Qaeda fighters were putting up stiff resistance.

Operation Harpoon, carried out in conjunction with Operation Anaconda, consisted of 500 Canadian and 100 U.S. troops under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Pat Stogran, who leads Canadian Forces in Afghanistan in the biggest ground offensive since the Korean War.

Lieutenant Justin Overbaugh, of the American scout platoon to which the Canadian snipers were attached, said it was a pleasure to work with the Canadian troops.

"Their professionalism was amazing," Lieut. Overbaugh said. "The Canadians were a very large asset to the mission. I would have loved to have 12 Canadian sniper teams out there. I'd have no problems fighting alongside of them again."

He said the Canadian snipers had equipment far superior to theirs. Their rifles had longer range than the U.S. weapons and better high-tech sights. Lieut. Overbaugh said if another mission comes up, he will request the Canadian sniper teams be sent with his unit.

Senior military officials in Ottawa made a point of praising their work at the time. "The sniper teams suppressed enemy mortars and heavy machine-gun positions with deadly accuracy," Vice-Admiral Greg Maddison said after Operation Harpoon ended. "Their skills are credited with likely having saved many allied lives."

Old 01-13-2010 | 04:41 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

HERO describes our troops, not our gov't officials.

Last edited by schwangster; 01-13-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-13-2010 | 05:18 PM
Whackone
Tourer

Back to the difference.
Canuks have a big ol'e smile and have been known to laugh uncontrollably when riding in the "States" We on the otherhand act like we never have fun and hate everyone.

Canuks never have a babe on the back of their bikes when they ride south, they leave 'em up north and use ours. We do have a few to pick from after the Canuks leave.

Canuks have a lot of funny looking money that is not worth anything. We have a little bit of money that is not worth anything.

Canuks ride really fast. 180 kilometers per hour or 180 MPH they don't know the difference. If they are not dragging steel in the corners they speed up until they do.

Canuks can live in Australia if they want to. We have to have an act of congress if we want to move down under.

Canuks have a Queen, We have Barak Hussien Obama and Michelle.

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:27 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
I rode with a couple Canucks a couple years ago and they loved riding in the twisties 20-30 mph over the speed limit. They said that in Canada they dare not do that. If they did in Canada and a cop caught them they could confiscate their bike. I ran into a Canadian couple a month or so later and they confirmed that and refused to believe that I could speed 90 mph on the interstate and not have to worry about my bike being confiscated by the police.

Is this really true? Will they confiscate for speeding offenses?
I have never heard that happening anywhere in Canada. Vehicles can be impounded when they are involved in a criminal code offense ... not highway traffic act.

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:32 PM
tangeloglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
I have never heard that happening anywhere in Canada. Vehicles can be impounded when they are involved in a criminal code offense ... not highway traffic act.
A guy earlier in the thread confirmed it with a link. Apparently an Ontario law to crack down on street racing, but being applied to anyone speeding 35 mph over speed limit. Looks like the courts are looking to rule the law unconstitutional.

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:39 PM
tangeloglide
Advanced

Here's the link about vehicle seizure in Ontario.
http://www.nationalpost.com/most-pop...tml?id=2254116

Attached Thumbnails Canadian rider's vs american rider's.-2255822.bin.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010 | 05:40 PM
cactus789
Road Captain

Originally Posted by frenchman
Sorry, it was out of my memory, it was well over 20 years ago. PPCLI it is. OK?
All I know is that they were good enough to impress me big time. Not big talkers, more the kind "silent professional". Very focused, very, very well trained and never ran a loud mouth. I learned a lot from them, in the week we were together. In fact, the canadian and the british snipers I met were some of the most impressive soldiers. I enjoyed their company as well as the training. Unfortunately, I've never seen them in combat, but there isno doubt in my mind that those guys rule the battlefield.
Kind words, from a Canadian that cares, Thanks!!

Last edited by cactus789; 01-13-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 | 05:42 PM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser

Very true that in Ontario you WILL have your vehicle impounded if you are caught going 50/km+ plus a $10,000 fine, then try to get insurance that is allready WAY over priced.

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:45 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by bikergirl40

Not true. It can happen here, just rarely ever does. They can impound your vehicle until court for excessive speed or a few other offenses.

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:50 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
A guy earlier in the thread confirmed it with a link. Apparently an Ontario law to crack down on street racing, but being applied to anyone speeding 35 mph over speed limit. Looks like the courts are looking to rule the law unconstitutional.

And the federal government was trying to add to criminal code offenses for when someone was involved in street racing.

Quick Reply: Canadian rider's vs american rider's.