General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you expect new HD prices drop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see more deals to move showroom stock, especially '09s.

Maybe another one of those Sportster double-promotions (promotions for Sportsters and for trading in Sportsters).

Cutting production is one thing, but they still need to move bikes. They can't let too many dealers dry up--we won't be in this recession forever.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley Prices

Harley won't lower prices! I have never seen so many dealers with used Harley's on the show room floor. Harley always frowned on that before!

You will see dealers doing what they have to do to keep the doors open, I look for some lower prices on repair and maintenance work! Harley won't go but so far to help the dealers survive, really left them hanging on the heat problems with the late models with the Cats.

They will lower production and lower cost by going south or outsourcing!
If HD Finiancial is a seperate entity they may weather out the recession. The loans are what is killing Harley and all the people that are in trouble on account of the economy.

The manufacturing side did some things early on to stop the bleeding and are solvent at this point!

Harley will be down over 100,000 units this year, profit losses over 92% in one quarter. Every manufacturer is being hit hard in this recession but luxery recreation items are getting hit hardest. The Icon status don't help with sales if people just do not have the money.

You have to have a car for transportation, getting to work if you are lucky enough to have a job! A recreation vehicle is on the back burner for many right now and the boomers are trying to make it to retirement just having had their 401k's wiped out. The old boomer retirement Harley just went out the window. Harley is in trouble

Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the UK they raised the prices by 10% last year just after the recession started to bite over here.

I was thinking seriously about buying a new RK at the time but, like most people I ditched the idea when the price went up by over $2000.

I won't even consider buying one unless they go down in price again. They are simply not worth that type of money.

There's a rumor that HD are starting a factory in India. Perhaps they'll be cheaper in future. Most of the parts you buy already have 'Made in China' stamped on them anyway.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 01-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
franklin322
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully things start heading up for the better

Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
GAguy
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
Most of the parts you buy already have 'Made in China' stamped on them anyway.
I noticed Japan speakers, radio and some electrical parts, not China. Which part did you see stamped China? I also noticed some part marked "Power Commander".

Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM
JerryL....
Banned

If you look on their website, some of the prices dropped from 09 to 10.

BTW, I heard that only 10% of Harley's profit come from bike sales. The rest comes from accessories and clothes.

Last edited by JerryL....; 01-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Never mind,....
Come on Ed..don''t leave us hanging here, tell us what's on your mind.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2009 msrp for the Softail deluxe was $17495, i believe
2010 msrp for the softail deluxe was lowered to $16799
i would say they are cutting prices.

Last edited by hbarleatherneck; 04-16-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
I think they are heading back to the 80's and 90's when there were less dealers, and less deals to be had. Keep the supply down so that the value push's back up.

During those years you had to get on waitting list for some bikes and your bike was worth more after you took it off the showroom floor than it was on the showroom floor because people were wanting bikes that could not be bought at the dealers.

Things are scalling back and i feel that is the direction things are heading. With all the TV shows and bike show's etc alot of people went out and bought bikes that had disposable incomes that fad has pretty much ran its coarse and things are getting back to normal i would say.
Yep...and now I think it's time to give us $3000 to $5000 under MSRP for payback..what do others think?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the bargains will be in the used market...The used bike values were inflated for so long due to all of the new bikes that were selling for above MSRP...Now that dealers are making deals to sell new bikes below MSRP...The bottom has fallen out of the used bike market.

Quick Reply: Do you expect new HD prices drop?