General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bate's boots anyone wear them....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
MAGNYS
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair and love`em
lightweight and comfy, 2 years and still look new.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:13 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wore them in the military. Had to buy them, but they were so much more comfortable than the standard issue stiff leather boots. Back in the day, I wore them for motorcycling too, when that was my primary mode of transportation. For fashion, they went great with fatigues and bdu's. Now I wear my Harley poser boots, these will be the last pair I buy cause the quality is terrible... I'll sign up for Red Wings most likely.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
kyroger
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have worn them for years and never had a problem.
Probably a close second to Red Wings, but a lot cheaper.
I have a pair with the side zipper I have been wearing for about three years and they have pleanty of sole left. Got them at Dick's Sporting Goods for $59.00

Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

I have a pair. Very comfortable. If I am not mistaken, Bates made the original FXRG boots for H-D. Don't know whether they still do. I also have a pair of Chippewas, but if I know I'm going to be doing any walking, or riding in rain, I wear the Bates.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 PM
firecwp
Tourer

I'm known in my department for being a boot connoisseur of sorts. I believe you should take great care of your feet. I wear mostly Danner boots. I will stray to 5.11 or blackhawk from time 2 time. Danner usually last 1.5-2x longer than any other. I wouldn't waste your time with Magnum or Bates or Harley for that matter. Oakley has some good boots. I can get them for a pretty good discount too. Take care of your feet, they'll get you where you need to go....someday.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't disagree on taking care of your feet have been wearing Red wings for years in factories working industrial maintenance. Just saw these today and for the price wondered how they performed.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
I don't disagree on taking care of your feet have been wearing Red wings for years in factories working industrial maintenance. Just saw these today and for the price wondered how they performed.
ihave been wearing Red Wings for years to work and still do .i work in construction am 6'5'' tall and weigh 280....so i give my boots alot of abuse... but i still like my Bates better for riding....Harley boots are junk compared to them

Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
woredown
Intermediate

Chippewas can't be beat

Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
michaelm
Tourer

There are two Bates...make sure you know the difference. Bates Custom Leathers (www.batesleathers.com) is a very long-term motorcycle leather, racing leathers and boots maker. Their leather and boots are first class.

I have worn Bates Leathers motorcycle-specific boots for years. Very comfortable, last forever. MUCH lighter than Cruiserworks boots. Try a pair and you'll probably by another pair in 10 years or so when this pair wears out.

Bates Footwear (www.batesfootwear.com) does not make motorcycle-specific boots. They specialize in footwear for Police and Military. I suspect you have answers to your question in this thread that discuss both companies without the writer realizing there are two different "Bates" boot companies. I have no experience with Bates Footwear

Last edited by michaelm; 01-10-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: got more/better information
Old 01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bates are one of the best riding boot I've worn,and there have been many in 45yrs of riding,lite confortable waterproof,good looks,they are not work boots !!!

Last edited by wcsj55@yahoo.com; 01-10-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: left out a word

Quick Reply: Bate's boots anyone wear them....?