General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealerships lurking on this forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I would love to look in on a DEALERS ONLY forum and see what they say to each other about some of the customers that come into their dealerships. .............. I'll betchu that would be a hoot!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
or worse, out of the motorclothes business!
Ain't that the truth......................

Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know Shumate used to before the doors locked. There were comments made to another member here about some banter going around on here about them and their potential demise. That in it's self is bad business! He fealt threatened enough to warn me and clear any posts he made refering to them. His bike was still under warranty and wanted to avoid any issues down the road. To Shumate....good ridance!

Originally Posted by NYBagger92
I'm just happy to have 5 dealerships within 45 minutes of my home. Choice is a great thing. Having a decent working relationship with all five is great when in a bind.

The fact that any one of them will come get the bike, and return it to my home after servicing is PRICELESS.
Rub it in! I have a minimum of an hour to get to a dealer since the local idiot over-extended himself and went belly up.

Originally Posted by rerb95
I hope the dealerships are hanging out on here, then maybe just maybe they will get off their high horse and realize that not all of us are willing to bend over and take it! Some of these dealerships need to wake up and start with basic customer service!!!

Just my .02
Agreed!!!

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
The whole MOCO has let basic customer service become one of their last prorities, which is pretty strange when the sales have tanked the last year or so.

I am takin my '09 Ultra in Monday, temperature permitting, to have a couple of problems addressed AGAIN.
The Moco isn't the one falling down on the customer service, the dealers are. If we had good dealers there would be no reason to have a direct customer service line to HD. I would say the Moco does a good job. Go to the Dyna section and see how many 06's have had IPB's fixed out od warranty. Some even include new inner primary and transmission cases.

If it were me I would go elsewhere if they can't get it right.

Originally Posted by will2002
I would love to look in on a DEALERS ONLY forum and see what they say to each other about some of the customers that come into their dealerships. .............. I'll betchu that would be a hoot!
I had access to John Deere's and it was a ghost town. During business hours you don't have much time for it and who the hell wants to surf work related forums once you get home????

Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NYBagger92

NY City HD Long Island City. <-- excellent crew. right down to the kid that washes the bikes!!!
Is that the shop in Oakdale? The shop in Oakdale refused to let me sit on a new bike (new Fatboy low in denim black) in the showroom stating that I had to put down a deposit first. Yes a frakin' deposit. Even after I showed them my HOG membership card! WTF!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=ackman1968;6070289]

The Moco isn't the one falling down on the customer service, the dealers are. If we had good dealers there would be no reason to have a direct customer service line to HD. I would say the Moco does a good job. Go to the Dyna section and see how many 06's have had IPB's fixed out od warranty. Some even include new inner primary and transmission cases.

If it were me I would go elsewhere if they can't get it right.

QUOTE]

In any orginization the "company" sets the tone. The dealers, some good, some bad, go through large amounts of training about marketing Harley motorcycles, the brand and the image. If the company isn't setting the right tone and demonstrating their desires for customer service, then it won't get done at the dealer level. It acutally most times comes down to not only finding the right dealer but the right person at that dealer. Then things will happen, I am still looking for the right person at this dealer.

And yes going somewhere else is certainly the next option.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Interesting point. Some of the customers behaviors have to influence how the dealerships act. There are some priceless personalities out there!
Also, if there are endless amounts of people blindly handing over cash, that ain't gonna help make the dealer be any nicer to the smart shoppers. We are wasting their time (how they act sometimes).

In any orginization the "company" sets the tone. The dealers, some good, some bad, go through large amounts of training about marketing Harley motorcycles, the brand and the image. If the company isn't setting the right tone and demonstrating their desires for customer service, then it won't get done at the dealer level. It acutally most times comes down to not only finding the right dealer but the right person at that dealer. Then things will happen, I am still looking for the right person at this dealer.
I disagree. The dealerships are individually owned and every owner has a different outlook.
Also, as I said above - the bulk of the customers coming in the door, influences (or trains) the employees how to act.
Example: If you get a bunch of dick's constantly at the parts counter wasting your time, spending pennies after pumping you for information, you eventually become a little "colder" to the next ones coming in the door. Human nature. I ain't excusing bad behavior, just trying to understand it.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 01-09-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Dealers and the MOCO might even have a position that just monitors the internet just for statements made that might hurt them. Even to find out what the general public is doing to improve their personal bikes.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Interesting point. Some of the customers behaviors have to influence how the dealerships act. There are some priceless personalities out there!
Also, if there are endless amounts of people blindly handing over cash, that ain't gonna help make the dealer be any nicer to the smart shoppers. We are wasting their time (how they act sometimes).

I disagree. The dealerships are individually owned and every owner has a different outlook.
Also, as I said above - the bulk of the customers coming in the door, influences (or trains) the employees how to act.
Example: If you get a bunch of dick's constantly at the parts counter wasting your time, spending pennies after pumping you for information, you eventually become a little "colder" to the next ones coming in the door. Human nature. I ain't excusing bad behavior, just trying to understand it.

You don't know how true your post is..........Or, perhaps you do!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold bikes for a long time and have been a member here for quite awhile, this is the first time that I've ever seen this question.....there are all kinds of long time members here that sell bikes. Hell, your Admin - Terry - was selling Janapese bikes when he started here......does that mean he was spying for the competition? Why is it "lurking" if a member here, also works at a Harley dealership???????? Wouldn't it make sense that guys that work with Harley's and ride them, would also be on a Harley forum?????

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with the consensus here, dealers and service mgrs should read what customers are saying, both good and bad. It could not hurt. I have done business at Slidell HD, Hurricane HD, Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach HD, and all have been very helpful and customer oriented. I have heard of the Slidell techs going the extra mile when they see small problems that do not take a lot of time. So that is good. The owner has been successful so he knows how to treat the customers.

Last edited by J2X; 01-09-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealerships lurking on this forum