General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black, The New Chrome- Fad or Here to stay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think "black chrome" would look cool on a bike. Must be expensive to do because I never see it.

But what I'm really hoping for is the resurgence of fringe and tassels.

Attached Thumbnails Black, The New Chrome- Fad or Here to stay?-black-chrome-aluminum-alloy-wheel-rim.jpg  

Last edited by carpetride; 01-09-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Fad, just like demin paint. Remember the marblized paint and the color changing paint? Everyone wanted it but where is it now?
__________________________________________________ _____________
Dont know if the demin is a fad or not, I do know some changes takes time to grow on me to the point where I like it.
Back in the 60's candy apple and metal-flake paint jobs where big.

Chroming out Ur bike parts back then was really cool cause most bike came with most parts painted or just clear coated polished aluminium.
I also remember in the 60's and 70's lots of custom show bikes had gold plating.

For now from what I've seen the black parts we buy are usually equal to or more than the same ones chromed. But I think if we sent out our parts to be chromed or powder coat that the bottom line is PC'ing is less $$$...So while I do like some Black part, I think the suppliers are cashing in on it...whether its a fad or not.

And also at least we have another option to make our bikes what we want.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Buckshot150
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I might get flamed for this, but I got my flameproof underwear on so heres my opinion. I think that the whole blacked out bike thing is for people who can't afford chrome or they are into that Goth thing. So they start telling everbody, "I don't like chrome, I'm into blacked out bikes". I know a non chrome flat black bike from Harley is a lot cheaper than a bike with chrome and gloss paint. But what do I know, I'm a CHROME *****.

Have you not noticed....Black is just as high, if not higher than chrome.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dunno, i liek a blacked out bike, but not so much that it "stands out" ya know what i mean?.

whenfolks start getting asked quesstion liek "did you see what kind of bike it was" or "Can you describe it?" or "did you notic anythign distingusihing about his bike before he made off with yer woman?" i like to know that the answer is likely gonna be nope it just looked liek every other motorcycle

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Gusltd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrome is in no danger of going away. There will always be people who want to be "different". I like chrome myself, it is afterall my favorite color. Although some of those dark models do look pretty good, i beleive that most harleys will be nice and shiney.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

"Black is the new chrome" ... I have a copyright on that.

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I think that the whole blacked out bike thing is for people who can't afford chrome
A lot of my stuff that I've blacked out started out chrome so actually I've spent twice as much!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FXSTSB
"Black is the new chrome" ... I have a copyright on that.

A lot of my stuff that I've blacked out started out chrome so actually I've spent twice as much!
After looking at that picture of your bike it struck me that "Less Is More".

Your bike is mostly black with very few chromed parts, which makes the chrome stand out more than a bike with lots of chrome.

On a side note I HATE to polish chrome. What a waste of riding time.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chrome may someday go away but I'll be dead by then,black comes and goes so who knows ???

For me Black bike with lots of Chrome !!!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
SVTNate
Cruiser

I like both black and chrome, prefer black as I'm 29 and chrome was never cool to me or people my age. I had lots of chrome on my metric because it was my first bike and I figured "that's what you do with a cruiser", and it looked nice against the blue paint... but I probably won't do it again. I would certainly never want chrome on anything but a cruiser/HD or a classic car that came with it stock. I replaced the OEM chrome grilles on my BMW with black ones, and got the Sport Package which eliminated the chrome trim around the windows. It's not sporting whatsoever and IMO looks tacky on pretty much anything but cruisers (and even then it's gotta be something with classic looks, for example VRSC's and Victory Hammers don't look right with chrome IMO)

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Black has been a traditional color for years. Blacking out the jugs has always been around, and is all but necessary to complete a diamond cut. Black will never go away.

Denim finish, on the other hand IS a fad. It is retro in the sense that it emulates a worn and oxidized paint on a very used bike. If the bike has that finish because of age & miles, it is something to respect. Always something else to make it go, and paint can wait. HD prides itself on fit & finish, but until last year I never heard of anybody stripping their tins for a show quality primer job.

Quick Reply: Black, The New Chrome- Fad or Here to stay?