General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black, The New Chrome- Fad or Here to stay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM
josh_m_0509
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
Thats how i feel
+1
You said it

Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think about what's in style, a fad, or a trend...I just like my Train...And I'm gonna ride it till everyone is wondering "who's that old fart on that old Night Train?"

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugly fad!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM
LX HEMI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i perfer black. chrome looks great but i cant stand to polish. black is just so much easier to maintain. less mantaining = more riding!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might get flamed for this, but I got my flameproof underwear on so heres my opinion. I think that the whole blacked out bike thing is for people who can't afford chrome or they are into that Goth thing. So they start telling everbody, "I don't like chrome, I'm into blacked out bikes". I know a non chrome flat black bike from Harley is a lot cheaper than a bike with chrome and gloss paint. But what do I know, I'm a CHROME *****.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sometimes looks like the harder you try to make your bike look unique, the more a lot of them start to look a like.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Dragon5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chrome is like rock 'n roll....it will never die. I think the black thing is like Disco......kidding (kinda)

"Harley-Davidson ain't noise pollution"

Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Untill I see a lot more Sport Bikes blacked out, I'm not thinking that the younger dudes are into the blacked out thing too much. Black is ok for me, however I don't care so much for those ALL flat black paint jobs that I see around.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Chrome or go home /...

I had chrome on my stang

And I love the chrome on my scoot

Last edited by 2kids3pets; 01-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I might get flamed for this, but I got my flameproof underwear on so heres my opinion. I think that the whole blacked out bike thing is for people who can't afford chrome or they are into that Goth thing. So they start telling everbody, "I don't like chrome, I'm into blacked out bikes". I know a non chrome flat black bike from Harley is a lot cheaper than a bike with chrome and gloss paint. But what do I know, I'm a CHROME *****.
Sorry, I had to stop readin to answer this one. Nope, not gonna flame ya. Just wanna let ya know that it's ok with me if you think I can't afford anything. I take my time about selecting a theme, as you can no doubt tell from the stock look of mine. Nope, can't afford a lot of things. But what I do buy, I buy with cash. One payment so's I don't have to wonder where next month's payment will come from. Yep, it's old, and it's not quite pretty, but it is the ONLY one that belongs to me.

As for the fad thing, the more popular things become the quicker I look for something else. Many people like that, otherwise we'd all be ridin stock bikes. I like black better than chrome myself, but you couldn't tell it by lookin at my bike cuz I bought it that way, and I aint made up my mind what scheme I want to go with yet. Takin care of the internals is more important to me at the moment. Once that's done, if I'm still around, I just might paint the entire bike with textured no skid bed liner paint. I like it, and I CAN afford the 6 or 8 cans of spray paint to cover the whole thing!

When yer sittin on the side of the highway with your blinged out scoot cus you can't figure out why it won't go, just pray some one like me that can't afford **** happens by. Because what I can afford is a whole bag full of tools that I carry with me on each trip. Maybe by then, if I save up enough, I will be able to afford the time to stop and lend you a hand...

On a side note, I used to fish quite a bit. I once heard some one say that all those pretty lures weren't made to catch fish, they're made to catch fishermen. And when you stop by the next Harley dealer, take a good look around you. More chrome parts than you can count. You think the MOCO might have heard that saying also?

Last edited by CroK; 01-08-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Black, The New Chrome- Fad or Here to stay?