General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona or Sturgis..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Blackpearlfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona or Sturgis..

Im planning on going Daytona or Sturgis one day.. I would like to know if anybody on here has been to both. I would like to know which one you liked best. Any experiences you would like to share?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
The Whale
Cruiser

I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm leaning toward Sturgis because of the country but Daytona would be easier.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Sturgis.

Just for the size and scope of the riding. Everything from flat grasslands, to mountains, to forests, to canyons, to badlands.

Nothing wrong with Florida, but there area is very uniform. There are beaches and good rides, but the nod has to go to Black Hills and area.

But they are 6 months apart, and held every year, so hit both then decide.

Don't forget Laconia either.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
crash55
Intermediate

STURGIS !!!!! Been to both and the riding is by far better then Daytona

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Been to both- been arrested at both.
Four trips to Sturgis- three to Daytona.

To be honest, I wouldn't go to either one ever again (there are better rallies out there), but if you haven't been, you should at least do Sturgis once. Very scenic area out west. Plenty of good riding.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to go to Sturgis, but daaaaaaang, if you can find a place to saty you have to be rich, even camping is going to cost you an arm and leg...and i like to shower, especially when its hotter than blue blazes and you been sweating all day.is there any campground away from Sturgis a guy can get in reasonable that has showers? within a 2 hour ride?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Done both a number of times. Prefer Sturgis. Much better riding area, and lot's more to see. Now if you're a huge party kind of guy, and aren't into the riding aspect of the rally, you might prefer Daytona. Daytona was waaaaaaaaaay too congested and it's getting worse every year. But there's a ton of vendors. If you can find them. Camping at Sturgis can be very reasonable. Ironhorse Campground which is just a couple of miles from down town Sturgis was like $15 a night. Plenty of reasonable camping all over.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same ****, different place/time of the year.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, been to both and have enjoyed both. I highly recommend doing each AT LEAST once. But, to answer your question...Sturgis is better hands down. Some of the best riding and sites you will ever see. Ride there, if ya can, to get the full experience.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by crash55
STURGIS !!!!! Been to both and the riding is by far better then Daytona
I may be looking at this all wrong...but the roads in Sturgis will be there after or before the rally. Same in daytona....same roads. What is different is the rally itself.
Hell, Ilive here near daytona. I don't know why anyone would come here to ride then!
If I want to ride in the black hills..why go during a rally like sturgis? It might be crowded huh? Or do you go BECAUSE IT's CROWDED?
Never been to SDturgis. Never plan on going.
Plenty of good riding around daytona....but you know what. You have to ride to get there. Hard to do during Daytona Bike Week. So....hit Main Street. The Iron Horse saloon.
Destination daytona....The Last Resort Bar. That is enough riding for one day (next day go to the Cabbage Patch for some cole slaw wrestling.

Quick Reply: Daytona or Sturgis..