General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona or Sturgis..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been to Sturgis and I will agree with the others who say that the landscape and opportunities to ride are better than Daytona. If you are more into riding in Gods Country instead of partying your A$$ off then I would say go to Sturgis. You have Needles Highway, Mount Rushmore, CrazyHorse Monument, Custer State Park and many more areas to go to. I loved it and stayed at a KOA campground close to Custer State Park and still to this day say that it was the best vacation that I ever took.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been to both, my vote is Sturgis at least once just to say you've been to the mecca of bike rallys. It's much better before the rally though, unless you like going at 3 mph most of the time in town.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Been to both...Sturgis would get my vote for the better of the two.

Paul in Colorado

Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The citizens of Sturgis love to have you visit. the citizens of Daytona want you to stay out. Their police will think of every possible ordinance and statute to write up as many bikers as possible.

Your choice, but for me I have written Daytona and Myrtle Beach off of the schedule.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sturgis for the trip I really could care less about $5.50 a beer.
but I'd like to go to daytona to get out of the cole for a couple days

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sturgis for me, Just the ride from the campground to town for fuel each morning was breathtaking. The best riding i've ever done http://www.shadevalley.com/sturgis_rally_location.html

Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The citizens of Sturgis love to have you visit. the citizens of Daytona want you to stay out. Their police will think of every possible ordinance and statute to write up as many bikers as possible.

Your choice, but for me I have written Daytona and Myrtle Beach off of the schedule.
Yep. If you come to Daytona and drink like an a$$wipe and ride like an a$$wipe revving
your engine and traffic lights, and generally pissing locals off.....you might want to go to Sturgis. The police in Daytona (and Volusia County) are pretty well even handed.
There is enough here to keep them busy and they won't mess with you unless you draw
undo attention to yourself. Daytona is not just ONE bike Week...but has many events,
so if the locals get a little 'tired' of crawling through traffic and putting up with noise (you think you hate Daytona traffic after ONE VISIT!?).....you may want to put yourself in their shoes. ME? I live just up the road from daytona, and I can tell you a hell of allot of people look forward to you folks being here. There are many places to ride in Florida. Just because you stick your a$$ around daytona and don't ride, doesn't mean there's no place to go.
Take a ride from Daytona to Crystal River.....the 'Beach to Beach" ride. Watch the sunrise in Daytona, and ride to the Gulf of Mexico to watch the sunset. Only takes a couple hours to get there... take your time. Take back roads through Ocala horse country. Take an airboat ride and check out the gators. Check out kennedy space center, check the schedule and see if any rockets are being launched that week. St. Augustine.....45 minutes north of daytona, is Americas oldest city.
I did get a speeding ticket one bikeweek......do you know why? You think the cops targeted me? NOPE. I was riding way too fast. Can't hardly blame the cops for my stupidity.
ANyhow....whatever you choose..Sturgis, daytona, Laconia, Laughlin, Lake George,
there is a reason bikers gather. It's the bikes stupid.

chuck the mensh is going to daytona bike week this year (Daytonas 69th year!)