General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona or Sturgis..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Grew up in central Fl and Daytona was alright then. Went to Biketoberfest twice, better weather. Interesting nite life in Ormond Beach. Went to Sturgis in '07, can't wait to get back. Lots of nice rides. We stayed at Hill City KOA, they have cabins, lodges, full hookups and primitive camping with full showers/washrooms. That KOA is 6 miles from Rushmore, 35 miles from Deadwood/Lead. About 16 miles from Rapid City. Down side long ride at late night and BIG animals on the roads.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been to both sturgis has a lot more to see and do . go the week before and leave monday the rally will start on sat so you will have 2 days of the mob seen and traffic.
hands down way better!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just fly to daytona for the party. who wants to ride in bumper to bumper traffic.

I would ride to Sturgis.

Although a ride from Oregon to Daytona once I got there I would probably like to park it fro a few days

Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also been to both a number of times. If it was one or the other take Sturgis and ride there. It has some awesome roads and beautiful scenery. Tons of bikes and all kinds of interesting people to see and talk to. I loved Daytona also, what with the beaches and warm weather that early in the year, but hard to ride to from my part of the country.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Default Sturgis

Originally Posted by Blackpearlfan
Im planning on going Daytona or Sturgis one day.. I would like to know if anybody on here has been to both. I would like to know which one you liked best. Any experiences you would like to share?
Sturgis

Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sturgis for me, no comparison.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

I would say Sturgis if you want to ride and Daytona if you want to party and get out of the cold. I don't even ride my HD to Main St - I take the dirt bike, it's easy to park and gets a lot of attention. I try to avoid the traffic with the HD. 1584cc and you don't get out of 2nd gear - not my idea of fun. In my 16 years here I have discovered what I like and what I hate about bike week so I have a good time. Not like the roads suck down here but just not as dynamic as out west.

Good times at both just need to know where to look and what your into. Look at that red neck bike next to that 300 rear tire. I love the people watching when the circus comes to town. Now year round - I think Daytona would win.

Last edited by C O L E M A N F U; 01-08-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

As far as having it all at a rally, Sturgis is way better than Daytona because of the rides in the area. So, I go to Sturgis for the first few days then I ride over to Big Horn Mtn, Cody, Bear Tooth Mtn, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole. Those are some of the best rides in the world if you got the time. But even if you can't do all of that the Black Hills area is worth the trip.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Been to both.

Daytona - IMO, It's OK if you've never been there and plan on going for the first time. Go for it. Way, way too congested in traffic. Be prepared to park your bike and start walking.

Sturgis - Champ !. Best riding everywhere. Lots of Sightseeing especially encountering with Bisons. Traffic's not congested at all.

My last words for you...Try to check out Bike Week in every corner of good ol' USA. Been to Laconia, Sturgis, Daytona and a few bike rallies in between. Going for Laughlin River Run this coming April.

Each to their own,

Thorey

Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Fl Jimbo 05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer Daytona for 2 reasons:

1. They have 2 yearly events instead of just 1

2. I only live 15 miles away

Quick Reply: Daytona or Sturgis..