General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Flathead Article - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Harley Flathead Article - WTF?

I have read the various articles that post up on the main screen of HD Forums but the current one takes the cake for disinformation value - https://www.hdforums.com/articles/20...twin.html#more Why do they post articles with clear mistakes, misunderstandings, and obviously written by somebody who doesn't understand the subject matter? From the article - o The Panhead supplanted the 45 CID flathead - wrong o The Flathead was used in the H-D Sportsters from 57 - 85 - wrong o The Flathead was an improvement over the Panhead - wrong Whose kid is writing this stuff? Here is a clue: Anybody knowledgeable reading these articles will think H-D Forums is a teenage worship site rather than (what I think it is) a serious owner's resource.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 01-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WELL, HELL, I'm sellin' this POS panhead, and UPDATING to a Flattie, THEN !!!!!
Gott Dammt overhead valves, anyway !!!!!!
I ALWAYS wanted to know, who's idea of a joke, OHVs were.

My guess is, the article was written by either an active, or an ex, politician. Jus' tell the story HOWEVER you want to. Misinformation is KING !!!!
Best part??? Most peeps, will accept it "as fact".

Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
WELL, HELL, I'm sellin' this POS panhead, and UPDATING to a Flattie, THEN !!!!!
Gott Dammt overhead valves, anyway !!!!!!
I ALWAYS wanted to know, who's idea of a joke, OHVs were.

My guess is, the article was written by either an active, or an ex, politician. Jus' tell the story HOWEVER you want to. Misinformation is KING !!!!
Best part??? Most peeps, will accept it "as fact".
Yeah Gump...thank goodness they got rid of those pesky pushrods and OHV's...but, I'm glad they kept the tubes around for looks.

Has this author even SEEN a Harley?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I have read the various articles that post up on the main screen of HD Forums but the current one takes the cake for disinformation value - https://www.hdforums.com/articles/20...twin.html#more Why do they post articles with clear mistakes, misunderstandings, and obviously written by somebody who doesn't understand the subject matter? From the article - o The Panhead supplanted the 45 CID flathead - wrong

Not exactly..it supplanted the flathead in 61 & 74 inch sizes in big bikes.

o The Flathead was used in the H-D Sportsters from 57 - 85 - wrong o

This is a little wrong..the flathead did stop in 56 in Sportsters but continued in servicars I think until around 1973. However, racing versions of the 750 cc K model, designated KR, continued to be produced in limited numbers for some time after, winning both roadraces and dirt track events against overhead valve bikes limited to 500 cc through 1969.

The Flathead was an improvement over the Panhead - wrong

That one is definitely wrong, and I may be wrong in my recollection of the above one's as well.

Whose kid is writing this stuff? Here is a clue: Anybody knowledgeable reading these articles will think H-D Forums is a teenage worship site rather than (what I think it is) a serious owner's resource.

Naw...they'll think it's for poseurs.
Funny thing is, that's the first time I ever actually read the front page.

Last edited by Snarly; 01-07-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
softail04
Road Master

glad I wasn't the only one that saw all the mistakes
maybe they need to get somebody that has seen aharley write these things

Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well damn it i went an rebuilt my ironhead and i really shoulda swapped it out for a flathead to get better performance so them flashing lights behind me disapear easier.
shucks

Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snarly
Funny thing is, that's the first time I ever actually read the front page.
Just a couple minor corrections -
Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I have read the various articles that post up on the main screen of HD Forums but the current one takes the cake for disinformation value - https://www.hdforums.com/articles/201...twin.html#more Why do they post articles with clear mistakes, misunderstandings, and obviously written by somebody who doesn't understand the subject matter? From the article - From the article –
o The Panhead supplanted the 45 CID flathead - wrong

Not exactly..it supplanted the flathead Knucklehead OHV in 61 & 74 inch sizes in big bikes.

o The Flathead was used in the H-D Sportsters from 57 - 85 - wrong o

This is a little wrong... the flathead did stop in 56 in Sportsters but continued in servicars I think until around 1973. However, racing versions of the 750 cc K model, designated KR, continued to be produced in limited numbers for some time after, winning both roadraces and dirt track events against overhead valve bikes limited to 500 cc through 1969. The flathead is not the same in the Servicar and the Sportster – they are two completely different engines. The Servicar motor is three piece construction like a Big Twin while the Sportster is unit construction like a British twin - tranny and crankcase in one.

The Flathead was an improvement over the Panhead - wrong

That one is definitely wrong, and I may be wrong in my recollection of the above one's as well.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 01-07-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

And now we have the Ironhead story, errors and all!

Says it was a 750, which it wasn't, except for the racing version that replaced the old KR flattie. Another kicker was it being named for its iron rocker covers, which were aluminum.

Sigh~~~~~

Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The proof readers came from the same school.Could be supplanted has a dual meaning,Clinton could have made it work.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Next month the article will be on , How the 4 cyl inline Knucklehead saved Harley from being a outboard manufacturer.,,

Quick Reply: Harley Flathead Article - WTF?