General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of state purchase to Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
robmaden1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of state purchase to Ca.

I have been looking online at another bike (10' Fatboy Lo) to add to my 09' Fatbob that I already own. The only thing is that I am unsure about Ca. law regarding how many miles a bike must have before you bring it into Ca. I also don't know about Ca. emissions and if that is a factor that I should worry about before purchasing. Any info that you can provide would be really helpful, Thank you.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
LX HEMI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time i've heard about a bike needing certain mileage before bringing it into state. That's odd. I bought my 06 Dyna in Louisiana and moved to Cali in 07, but I never registered it here so I'm no help.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are a resident of California and purchase a bike outside the state, then the bike needs to have 7500 miles or more. Now if the bike you are looking at is a California model and not a 49 state bike then your good.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
flyscoal77
Cruiser

7500 is the magic number. A DMV worker will check your odometer to verify. If you purchased a bike out of state while living out of state it is different story, I forget the exact rule but you can bring it with you when you move to cali.

I have heard of guys swapping speedometers for a day (to show over 7500) but this is illegal and will be the new mileage base on your title.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to add to BennieSG's post above, cut-and-pasted below from this link:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

How To Register An Out-of-State Vehicle
(Nonresident Vehicle)

Definition of a nonresident vehicle

A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.
NOTE: California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
PhillyRoadKing
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live outside the state of California and buy a new motorcycle, you can register it in California with less than 7500 miles, IF it was first registered in another state and you can prove you lived there. If it has more than 7500 miles you are good to go. If you are a California resident and buy a new motorcycle (less than 7500 miles) out of state, you will not be able to register, sell, or legally operate it in California.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

buy it and ride it in circles around your block until you hit 7501 miles.

then go register it hahaha

Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyRoadKing
If you live outside the state of California and buy a new motorcycle, you can register it in California with less than 7500 miles, IF it was first registered in another state and you can prove you lived there. If it has more than 7500 miles you are good to go. If you are a California resident and buy a new motorcycle (less than 7500 miles) out of state, you will not be able to register, sell, or legally operate it in California.
when I moved to San Diego last year, my bike had less than 5000 miles. I was told by the DMV that I could register it with lass than 7500 miles if I made it meet CA EPA regs. 2 different dealers quoted me $1500 to make it CA legal. I left it the way it was and moved back to God's Country.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
robmaden1
Stage III

Great info! Thanks for all the help in sorting out the mess that is Ca. law. I have contacted a friend that lives out in Precott, Az. that would be willing to let me register it over there. Right now it looks like the best option when looking countrywide to find the best deal. I can wait a couple road tips until I make it legal in the sunshine state, thanks again for the input.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toastman
buy it and ride it in circles around your block until you hit 7501 miles.

then go register it hahaha
Cute, but not realistic. CA law states that you may not purchase a bike out of state & ride it until you have 7500 on it to register it in CA.

Quick Reply: Out of state purchase to Ca.