General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of state purchase to Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robmaden1
I have contacted a friend that lives out in Precott, Az. that would be willing to let me register it over there.
If you are a Resident of the State of California, it does not matter where you register the motorcycle. If you register it in another state and try to bring it into California with an Out of State address, without proof you were living there there and not in California at the time of Purchase (ie.. employment records, Driver's Licence) you will not be able to register it in California, Ever. And if you do, you must have owned it, and been living there for at least one year before you come to California. The DMV is very Dicky about checking those things.

Easier to find a used one that has 7500 miles or more to purchase. If it is a 2010 model, they will also check to see if it has the Catalytic Converter place. Other years didn't have them outside California before 2010 Model years. In the 2010 Model year all 50 State Models have it.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
PhillyRoadKing
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an exception in the fine print of the California law. If you are a CA resident and riding your vehicle out-of-state and you wreck it, or its stolen, or it has a major mechanical failure, you can buy a new vehicle and the 7500 mile rule will not apply. You will need documentation, i.e. police report, accident report, mechanics report. So buy a junker bike, ride it off a cliff in Utah or park it in downtown Detroit and you are on your way.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New exception to CA law. "We will soon be bankrupt so it won't matter."

Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
NHLowRyder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread...so I currently live in New Hampshire and I'm "co locating" to California. I'm considering taking the bike so am assuming I can register it no problem since it has over 10k miles. However, since I'll continue to be a legal NH resident (since I will still have a legal residence) it seems I could legally register in NH and ride in California forever except that I would have to get a NH inspection sticker...hmmmm... same thing for a car. Is there anyway I could buy a car in California, register in NH, and NOT get a California driver license.......and avoid state taxes if I buy a new car!!! (NH has no state tax for cars)!!!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
Cute, but not realistic. CA law states that you may not purchase a bike out of state & ride it until you have 7500 on it to register it in CA.
what's cute is your sense of humor.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
stilltired
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registration of old harley in CA

I have a old 1966 harley and i am wanting to bring it into ca, Its and old kicker only no batt just a generator and a kill switch, no turn sig 1966 had no sig , Was wondering if i will have a hard time getting a registration for it the out of state title is clear, And its got more miles than a bike should have so the miles thing shouldn't be a problem, Just don't know about older bikes in cal

Last edited by stilltired; 10-19-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: made it a new post in general forum
Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Pheewww, that seems to just suck,

Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
what's cute is your sense of humor.
Or lack of......

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyRoadKing
There is an exception in the fine print of the California law. If you are a CA resident and riding your vehicle out-of-state and you wreck it, or its stolen, or it has a major mechanical failure, you can buy a new vehicle and the 7500 mile rule will not apply. You will need documentation, i.e. police report, accident report, mechanics report. So buy a junker bike, ride it off a cliff in Utah or park it in downtown Detroit and you are on your way.
I just sprayed my screen with water when I read the last sentence.

Attached Thumbnails Out of state purchase to Ca.-bike-2011.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stilltired
I have a old 1966 harley and i am wanting to bring it into ca, Its and old kicker only no batt just a generator and a kill switch, no turn sig 1966 had no sig , Was wondering if i will have a hard time getting a registration for it the out of state title is clear, And its got more miles than a bike should have so the miles thing shouldn't be a problem, Just don't know about older bikes in cal
Not a problem.

Quick Reply: Out of state purchase to Ca.