General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of state purchase to Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
Cute, but not realistic. CA law states that you may not purchase a bike out of state & ride it until you have 7500 on it to register it in CA.
I have a friend who is Sales Manager at a CA dealership. On occasion, they get out-of-state bikes as trades. If it has less than 7500 on it, they have employees ride them up and down the coast freeways until they hit 7500.

The chances of running into a CHP that would write you for it are pretty darn slim, as long as the bike has current tags. Tell 'em your brother-in-law left it with you when he deployed, and you're just keeping it charged up!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
malla1962
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a strange law.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
captaincaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teachu2
I have a friend who is Sales Manager at a CA dealership. On occasion, they get out-of-state bikes as trades. If it has less than 7500 on it, they have employees ride them up and down the coast freeways until they hit 7500.

The chances of running into a CHP that would write you for it are pretty darn slim, as long as the bike has current tags. Tell 'em your brother-in-law left it with you when he deployed, and you're just keeping it charged up!
I have no use for Kalifornikistan or any of their dumbazz laws but, I gotta admit, that there is one pretty sweet job description

Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"...California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase. "

A RESIDENT OF CA cannot register a new vehicle with less than 7500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets current CA EPA standards.

CANNOT, NO, NADA. You can't buy a new bike from Oregon or Nevada for example, then register it in CA if you lived in CA at the time of purchase. Period.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Spider51
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Commiefornia

Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thealaskan
"...California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase. "

A RESIDENT OF CA cannot register a new vehicle with less than 7500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets current CA EPA standards.

CANNOT, NO, NADA. You can't buy a new bike from Oregon or Nevada for example, then register it in CA if you lived in CA at the time of purchase. Period.
Agreed. Probably one way around this, at least for your offspring, is to buy, license & insure the bike. Give permission to your kid to ride it, then gift it to him/her when it hits 7500.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

temp tags are good for 60 days. That's a lotta riding in 60 days...
edit: missed the new. DOH

Last edited by Lopoetve; 01-07-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
Agreed. Probably one way around this, at least for your offspring, is to buy, license & insure the bike. Give permission to your kid to ride it, then gift it to him/her when it hits 7500.
Probably another way is to set up an address in OR for example, register it there (or NV) for a year. Then when it comes time to renew it, do so in CA. Tell the DMV you had another bus. there or some such. You're not likely to get caught... but of course this isn't a recommendation nor legal advice !

Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

good post good infor

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran into this law when I lived in CA. I bought a bike from a guy in SoCal who was in the military and he had the bike registered in WA state. The bike was 10 years old with 13k miles on it, but it had an after market speedo on it that read 4k miles. When I took it to the local DMV they notified me of the law. When I explained that it was a new speedo they said that I needed to sign an affidavit stating the the mileage was really 13k and not 4k. Did it on the spot and it was a done deal. Though my bike legally had over the 7500 mile requirement, one could use the same excuse. I did however have the miles written on the pink slip at time of sale which was 13k. A lot of times this law is subject to the person doing the inspection interoperation of the law.

The following users liked this post:
Spaggs42 (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Out of state purchase to Ca.