General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY State Laws - Helmet "reflectorization" & pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snarly
While what you say is generally my experience in NY, the problem is when you bump into those pesky "road checks," which are becoming more prevalent these days. When the Leo's are standing around in a bunch, their hesitant to overlook those things in front of others. jmo
yeah i know what you're saying. i was lucky enough to dodge a few of those ridiculous road checks last summer on the meadowbrook parkway on long island.

one morning they rounded up 88 bikes and spend something liek 3 hours combing them all for any infractions they could find.

thing is around here, they're so inconsistent with what they do and don't do.

if you're unlucky enough to get stopped, you're going to get a ticket. as for me i've gone two summers straight without running into a check point.

they cracked down for about a month last summer and it seemed that everyone who got on their bike with a non-dot helmet was in deep **** but after a few weeks it was open season again.

it's a crap shoot really, and it honestly all depends on what cop you get on what day, same as any time you get pulled over in any vehicle.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting hassled for anything up there unless you do something that makes you stand out from the thousands of other loud bikes. Only place we saw any police was in the actual town of Lake George.

We had a great time there last year. Demoed some bikes, took a day tour up to Lake Placid where we did the Bobsled ride. Also did the HD lake cruise/dinner. Good times.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Fl Jimbo 05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was stopped years ago (80's) for no reflector on my helmet in New York State on my return from the Harley Rendevous. Didn't get a ticket, just a warning.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flash from northern NY:
In the early '70s, reflective the tape on the helmet was the rule. I do not know if the rule was revolked, but nobody wears it anymore.
I've known of pipes to be checked for baffles. If their stick does not go in the pipe, you should be OK w/ NYSP.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Cant say I've ever herd of the reflector requirement... and I have a buddy that's a LEO who rides... both of us have plain ol flat black lids. My bet is its a a-hole tax they might hit you with if they even know about the law to begin with.