General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

International Motorcycle Show in Greenville S.C.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Question International Motorcycle Show in Greenville S.C.

Any one here ever went to this, I looked at it online and seems to be more sport bikes than HD's, but they may be all kinds I guess, (thus the IMS), just wondering, very cold here in Tn., just thinking about getting out Sat.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it's pretty much the same show that appears in various cities. It may be that some vendors are more regional or local and appear only at certain shows, I don't know. The only one I've ever been to is the one in NYC. I woiuld say it is not especially sport bike oriented. There's plenty of cruisers and baggers and choppers and so forth at the show. HD typically has a very large "booth".

These shows are not ideal, by any means. But they are a fun mid-winter distraction. The part I enjoy most is the rows of small vendors selling stuff, ranging from leathers to prescription goggles to communication systems to t-shirts to helmets to toy motorcycles (bring back for the kids). I bring a bunch of cash and haul out a bunch of loot. Gives me something to do for a few days, looking at all my new goodies.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

Sounds like the same show that was in Detroit area this past weekend. $5 to park, $15 per person to get in. H-D corporate area staffed by corporate help and a revolving list of local dealership people. Not there to deal really, just answer questions. A handful of local dealerships had there own displays. Also most other major brands. Noticably absent this year was Michigan's only Indian dealer. Another area with some parts and apparal vendors-ramps, chocks, cheap leather. If you have $40 to spare and nothing better to do, have a great time, otherwise nothing there that you can't see for free at any dealership or find for the same money online.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm thinking of attending. It's about 2 hours from where I live. Something to do when it's too cold to ride...

Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Something to do when it's too cold to ride...
I go to the Chicago show for the same reason. It's gets me out of the house. I usually run into someone I know, too. The factory exhibits are okay, but over the years I find myself spending more time with small vendors.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Last year most of the delers were offering test rides. It was smaller last year than the Chicago show (saw 05-07) but the economy had something to do with it

Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Thumbs up

I think we will plan to go, like already said, it gets me out of the house when it's to cold to do anything else, about a 3hr drive for me, see the sites and bs all the way with freinds and get a steak somewhere, sounds good to me.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Went about 2 yrs ago I think to Atlanta.. they had a super moto cross race or something at the same time.. I did not know it at the time but my son was watching the motocross and I was in the IMS..met him on my way to the parking lot.. we only live about 8 miles from each other but neither of us said anything about going to Atlanta.. Anyway, the show was pretty good diversion for a cold January day..I just hope they have enough roads open btwn Tn and SC this weekend..going to make a stop in Dillard, Ga. for lunch Friday.. They say 5" of snow Thursday night/Friday morn.. might just drive to Atlanta to Papadeaux for lunch and see the new Indians..

Last edited by RutRoo; 01-04-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go every year. It's ok. BMW, Triumph, Victory, and Ural were all absent this year.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM
DMas
Road Master

Went to the Detroit area show this past weekend - pretty much what everyone else said. Surprised Indian wasn't there, too. The owner of FTS was there hung out mostly there and with the vendors.

Quick Reply: International Motorcycle Show in Greenville S.C.