General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you want to see at a poker run???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Make the stops on the right side of the road. Last stop before the end make sure there is a gas station and a bathroom. Try to avoid left turns up a hill, amazing how many people can't do that! Good directions and do your best to make it a fun ride. Don't have to draw cards, we did a run they had to stop at a town hall and count sharp points on a sign, rail on a fence at a waterfall thing like that. Good luck

Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brgtr3
If there's girls involved, the event should be a success...
if there are hookers then it will be a sucess....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
busch
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poker run works well maybe look at parks along if you have any, easyer to park make getting in and out faster food car bike show band at the end,ride about 3/4 hours be at the finish 2/3 pm have plenty to do at the end to make money feed them well radio hot ticket to get the word out
BIG thing to remember bath rooms and gas stations along the way good luck

Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Bikini bike wash for a "nominal fee" that goes towards the charity?
+1 A good bike wash will attract a crowd....Crowd = $$$

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
1. wet t-shirt contest
2. nice smooth roads
3. nice stops... usually with a couple of biker bars
4. food at the end
5. 100+ miles
+1, make each stop atleast a 25-30 minute ride from the last stop, and start it early in the morning, and hold it open until dark.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live near you and the only ride I make is the redbank elks I need to start doing more. I like ones where they end with a bike shows

Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of great ideas here. I do like the idea of not having too many bars though. Not that I don't enjoy my drinks, I just think that a PBA sponsored run shouldnt be advocating drinking / riding. Keep the ideas coming, I will have this thing together in no time at all.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I favor a charity ride as apposed to a poker ride. I do not like stopping at bars so I don't do poker rides at all. I will do charity rides if they are not too large i.e. less than 100.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

distance.......some of the poker runs I've been on there is only 10 to 15 miles between the start and the finish. and can be done in about an hour ( I guess they did it this way so they can sit at the various pubs for a few drinks before moving on the the next) personally I like the format the Okanagan poker run had..where there were a dozen locations all over the valley and that you could pick whatever route you wanted and could pick whatever stops you wanted and so long as you were back by the deadline basically the day was yours. There was some locations that allowed people from the east to join up and some for the people coming from the west to join up and everyone met in the middle...it was one awesome day...the best by far of any poker run I've ever been on.....some of use put on 200 miles that day just getting our cards....was a sweet experience.....made the cold ones at the end that much more enjoyable

Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

I did a poker run last Summer in Knoxville, TN & the couple of things I saw that should be considered were:
1) Draw out the map as though someone from out of town will be following it, not like you're just refreshing their memory.
2) A couple of stops were at boat landings that were gravel.
Avoid gravel & sand-on-pavement stops.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

Be considerate that some of your riders will be traveling long distance to attend the run, so limit the ride to 60-75 miles. Have the regular 5 card poker run, and a sure fire way to make extra money....allow riders to swap 1 or 2 cards for a dollar at the end. Also pick about 3 of your good door prizes and make a quarter drop fro tickets to win these prizes (get a pickel jar and place a shot glass in the jar, fill the jar with water, either take the top off the jar or cut a slot in the top. They get a ticket for each quarter that lands in the shot glass. then draw from these tickets for those prizes. I like poker runs that have bike shows at the end, but that means you have to have a few judges that are imparcial to judge the bikes. The main thing is advertize..advertize and advertize...Good luck and have fun

Quick Reply: What would you want to see at a poker run???