General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 AM
jfm5
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile winter storage

During the winter months, december to march i store my bike in the garage. I used to run the engine for a couple of minutes about every 14 days or so. A friend told me doing this only causes a build up of condensation in the engine oil unless you run the engine till its real hot, but it would need to be kept running for a long time to avoid this. i have sprayed my bike with wd40 oil and just turn the fuel tap on every so often to keep some petrol in the carb.
do you think its ok to store the bike this way or if you have any storage tips to share please tell me thanks.

Last edited by jfm5; 01-03-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fan circulating air can do wonders and yes, most prefer to let the bike sit all winter long but, if you are going to start it, let it run much more than a couple minutes. Take that fan that does wonders and point it towards the bike and let her run. I don't like letting things sit long periods of time either but only start my bike about 2 times per winter (use a battery tender) and let it run for up to a half hour then top off the tank. Before winter, I dump the oil and come spring, first thing I do is have the bike fully serviced with all fluids dumped before riding.

Of course, different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't start it...leave her be until spring. You will be doing more than good by starting it for a few minuets

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your friend is correct. If your gonna start it you have to let it run, get hot & burn off all the condensation.
I fill the gas tank & add Sta-bil to the fuel. Run it long enough to get Sta-bil into fuel system & plug it into the battery tender and leave it till spring.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done this for years. Get a good Battery Tender. Add fuel stablizer. (I use Sea Foam). I put it up on a jack just enough to take weight off tires. Cover it in bed sheets.(Won't sweat like some covers will do) My bike is stored in a well insulated but unheated garage. Bike always starts right up after storage and runs fine. Tender will extend the life of your battery. I put it on tender after every ride spring, summer, fall, and when in storage for the winter.
Not good too rely on going out every so often and starting it during winter as earlier post stated. Good way to get moisture in fuel line.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Better not to run it to avoid the condensation issue. I have an injected bike now, but back when I ran carbed bikes the conventional wisdom about storage was to have the bike running, shut off the fuel petcock, and let the bike run until dieing in order to run out all the gas in the carb.

Other tips include filling the gas tank to the brim before adding fuel stabilizer so there is no room for condensation in the gas tank that will rust the gas tank liner.