General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC 5 lossed its map or other problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
thunderbob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC 5 lossed its map or other problem?

I got one for you guys, today i took the scoot out in the 37 degree weather because the withdrawls were to much. my bike was running fine when all of a sudden at a stop light my bike started idling real low like it was just hitting on one cylinder, loss of power and sounded horrible.
Oil light was not on. About 2 weeks ago my battery ran down to nothing i had to take it off and recharge it and rode it home, today was the first time i rode since the battery died. Can the PC lose its map or lose the map on one cylinder? Im at a loss, Ive heard the PC can lose there maps?

Im running stage 1 AC, PC5 and wrapped thunderheader on a o7 streetbobob

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It almost sounds like your bike went into parade mode... running on one cylinder. How did it run off idle?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Any time U add another component to a system I'd think bout anything could go wrong..
From minor to major...

Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
thunderbob
4th Gear
Default ???????

Originally Posted by clicker01
It almost sounds like your bike went into parade mode... running on one cylinder. How did it run off idle?

when i rolled on the throtle it sounded like one cylinder was hitting, hardly any power so turned it off and towed it home. what is parade mode?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

when i rolled on the throtle it sounded like one cylinder was hitting, hardly any power so turned it off and towed it home. what is parade mode?
Parade mode shuts down the rear cylinder at idle if your temp exceeds a certain temp. It shuts off immediately when you twist the throttle, so that's not it. Maybe you did lose a map, but check the obvious first, spark plugs, wires etc...

Old 01-02-2010, 10:50 PM
thunderbob
4th Gear

i guess i can check the map by hooking up my laptop to the PC and checking to see if the map is still there. wires and plugs look ok. One plug has a little black gunk on it but it doesnt look bad. I have the fat screamin eagle spark plug wires on there, they look ok.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Plugwires can crack for no reason and you won't be able to see the defect. Could be the ECU, I guess. Could be a lotta things on an F/I bike. Coil? Newer factory coils can go **** up occasionally. Lemonish things are around. All my experience is with the older carbed sleds, so I"m just trying to help. Start with the cheapest fix you think it might be and if that doesn't get results,stand back ,scratch your head and call a friendly Wrench. Streetbobs don't have Parade Mode. Only Baggers

Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thunderbob
i guess i can check the map by hooking up my laptop to the PC and checking to see if the map is still there. wires and plugs look ok. One plug has a little black gunk on it but it doesnt look bad. I have the fat screamin eagle spark plug wires on there, they look ok.
Check your wires with an ohmmeter. Should be pretty close to zero resistance. I'd throw in a new set of plugs for good measure. Then go to the coil. The service manual has the testing procedure and specs.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,387 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderbob
I got one for you guys, today i took the scoot out in the 37 degree weather because the withdrawls were to much. my bike was running fine when all of a sudden at a stop light my bike started idling real low like it was just hitting on one cylinder, loss of power and sounded horrible.
Oil light was not on. About 2 weeks ago my battery ran down to nothing i had to take it off and recharge it and rode it home, today was the first time i rode since the battery died. Can the PC lose its map or lose the map on one cylinder? Im at a loss, Ive heard the PC can lose there maps?

Im running stage 1 AC, PC5 and wrapped thunderheader on a o7 streetbobob
The PCV cannot "lose" it's map. When it is in there it cannot be removed unless you remove it.
I think the low battery and temperture had more to do with it.
My 2007 Ultra pulled kinda the same trick a few months ago when I got off work. Totally died a mile down the road when I slowed down to make a turn. Ran funky all the way home . But, only when I came to a stop. By the time I got home,15 miles, it was running normal. Go figure.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 AM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your battery out real good.Check the cables etc.Fuel pump will not run too good with bad ground or a slight film on battery cables.Cold weather can cause electrical type troubles with batteries, corrosion on connections and grounds etc. Check the easy things first. Good luck.

Quick Reply: PC 5 lossed its map or other problem?