General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all Harleys junkers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this conversation with my brother. He wants a Harley but thinks they are money pits. I wanted to say it aint so!!!! I didn't tell him my new bike has left me stranded twice (both times on 100+ mile rides).....unlucky maybe????

Old 12-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a Honda guy for the first 3 years and 60K miles on a VTX.. It was a bulletproof (for the most part) bike...one fork seal and I replaced a rear wheel bearing upon replacing a worn out tire.

So far 12 K on my new Harley.... N0 mechanical issues but did have a foot peg vibrate off and a battery cable vibrate off..

I do log distance riding (Iron Butts etc) based on the reliability so far of my bike I have no issues with it and have comfort in its quality as well. May not be quite up to Honda standards but it is well made and you should have no problems buying one if it is what you want.

The HD is a great machine as to its feel, handling and looks. That makes up for any small difference (if there even is one) in mechanical reliabity.

But to each his own.

R. Todd

Last edited by Kumite; 12-31-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have been riding for 54 years. I have owned about 30 bikes. Honda's, Yamaha's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Norton, Simplex and HD's. Half have been Honda's.

The last Honda that I had was an 04 Rune which was the most expensive and best engineered bike that Honda ever made(according to them).

I thought so much of it that I traded it in on a Buell Ulysses XT.

The four HD's that I have had have been the most satisfying bikes to operate than any other that I have had. Second would be the 69 Norton Fastback Commando(bought it new in early winter of 68). Traded it for a CB750 four in 1970. Regretted it ever since.

Learned early on that 4 or more cylinders and gobs of power was not the be all and end all that some think especially squids.

I have taken my HD's to the Arctic Circle and a big percentage of the States. My goal is to finish all fifty by the end of the 2011 season.

I have never had a malfunction with any of them for many 10's of thousands of miles touring. I have had to replace the tires a number of times.

I may buy some other bikes such as a Triumph, Ural and Victory just for grins and giggles as I am a revolving collector of bikes.

Normally, I don't feed a TROLL but this one needs a spanking.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashX
Hello 1975
Funny post. Probably say hello to 1970 through about 1984. The EVO ended the harleys break down theory. But if you want to stay in the past then buy a honda. Personally two harleys over 75,000 miles with no problems has made a believer out of me. Harley makes one of the most reliable machines on two wheels. But that's my experience. Yours might look and feel different.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,364 Likes on 8,413 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Yep, pretty much. .........Ya best get ya a Goldwing if you are gonna do too much riding!
Will pretty much sums it up right here!!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Ya man! Oil, filter, lube the clutch cable and spread some pledge or Harley gloss all over it, Fuggit, I just can't seem to keep up with all this work on my Harley, I'm gonna go get a Vespa!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by treefiddy
Ya man! Oil, filter, lube the clutch cable and spread some pledge or Harley gloss all over it, Fuggit, I just can't seem to keep up with all this work on my Harley, I'm gonna go get a Vespa!

put some lemon pledge on that baby!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:31 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GVDobler
I am getting ready to buy my first Harley and all I hear is how much trouble people have with Harleys. They break down every time they leave the driveway, you can't get from A to B without a failure of some kind, etc.
Do you hear that from anyone that actually rides a Harley? ... or just from kids with Briggs & Stratton mini-bikes who want to pretend they know something about bikes?

Here's the deal. HD MoCo took pride in turning out poorly designed, poorly assembled, pieces of crap up through the 70's & 80's ... just like pretty much every other American company. (Think Detroit)

If you look at Harleys made in the past decade, they are as reliable as any other bike on the market. (If they weren't - I'd still be riding a sport bike or some other metric)

Old 12-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Ghosty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would some of the folks giving you advice happen to ride Japanese bikes? If so they are probably jealous that you might get a Harley and leave their ranks. I've owned and ridden quite a few foreign made bikes and most were great rides. However as I've aged and matured I've come to appreciate the reliability and style of the newer Harleys. If you are not sure if a Harley is for you just go rent one for the day and find out for sure.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably you should ask the question on something other that a Harley board. Just sayin'

Me? I ride 'em because it is the only way I can justify all my tats.

Quick Reply: Are all Harleys junkers?