General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions...which model HD??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:05 AM
ElusiveThorn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing if looks is important to you then Fat Boy. Cause the Fat Bob is ugly as hell with the twin headlights and all you're buying is a frame and a seat. Basically you just sit on top of a V twin and that's all you got. Nothing pretty about it.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Obviously, I am partial to the Fat Boy but the Fat Bob is a a good bike. Ride them both and then determine which one you like the best.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:37 AM
rkride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was originally torn between the Fat Bob or Fat Boy but solved the problem by going with the King. But really, if I was in your shoes, I would stick with the new Fat Bob instead of guessing what was done with the Fat Boy.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:30 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deadwood Dick
Ok, after 27 years of not riding (previously a BMW R90S), I've decided to start my upcoming retirement with a Harley. Been checking out the local dealers and I narrowed it down to the 2010 Fat Bob. I also like the look of the Fat Boy Lo.

I've tried to make sense of the differences. The Fat Boy Lo is $1,300 higher, but I don't see what you get for the money. In fact, the Fat Bob has dual front discs which most Dynas and Softails don't have. I've only heard good things about the Fat Bob.

To further complicate matters, a friend is selling an '05 Fat Boy with 4,200 miles with literally $30,000 just in upgrades, accessories, and chrome. I can get this bike for about the price of a new Fat Bob. Some of the goodies this bike has is:
95" big bore kit
V & H pipes
Power Commander
Custom paint
lowered front & back (1" - 2")
chrome wheels, swing arm, forks
chrome EVERYTHING
loads of custom details

I just want to get opinions of anyone with experience with these models.
You friends bike sounds good for you, but only if you realize book value will be below sale price. Book values typically (could be wrong) don't take extra chrome and stuff as adding value to the bike so you will have a bike "worth" less than you paid. More of an issue if financed.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Deadwood Dick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just a couple of comments...

I tend to get *very* attached to stuff like bikes, so I want something that I'll keep for many years. I don't plan on getting something that I intend to try out or to hold me over until I get what I really want.

Ideally, I was hoping someone here has some experience with both the Fat Boy Lo and the Fat Bob. I'm still trying to make sense of why the Fat Bob is one of the few in it's class to have twin front disks. The Fat Boy is more expensive and a bit heavier and only has the single front disk. As far as looks, I like them both (with black denim paint). I have heard several times that the Fat Bob handles better than most (due to wider front tire? dual front disks? different rake angle?)

Regarding my friend's Fat Boy, I know for a fact that it's been well cared for and never dropped. My main issue is that it's not all customized to my taste, though admittedly it is a very flashy bike that attracts attention.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

If you have any recollection of riding your R90S, then unless you've drastically changed your expectations you may not like a softail based bike. I have an FXDXT with a load of stuff done to it and rode the Fat Boy at Sturgis; went back the next day and rode it again...I would buy one of those in a heartbeat if I had to replace my current ride...the only other demo I remotely enjoyed was the XR1200, but it's too focused to cover all the bases I have to with one bike. Renting and riding is a good idea; but I vote Fat Bob.....

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If I were you, I wouldn't buy any Harley untill rode all of the ones that I thought I could be happy with. Looks don't count for much, if the "ride" is not what ya expect. ...........But that is JMHO.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Do like most of us have, try them all.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would agree to try the different bikes,you may find that if you are planning longer rides you would want the extra protection the Electra Glide offers.I think I would try looking for a good used low mileage bike,more for the money.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

As others have mentioned, ride them both and see which one you like better. I would also not rule out the Heritage or Road King if you plan on taking some long rides/trips.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions...which model HD??