General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership freebee's

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM
oltrout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 bucks a day for something like 120 days plus taxes etc....came out to around 2800 in total with the 5 min tow job....and thanks for the kudo's there mastery lol...what colour shirt do you wear questions drive me nuts...i could give 2 ***** about what anyone drives or wears but was told by my grandfather at an early age that only hd's park in his yard...i'm 3rd gen hd and figure the local shop never made close to 3 g's that easy before and want something out of it...

Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM
POPS87FXR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
Here is the way I see it. The shop would have ended up with the bike if you never bought it, for a fraction of the price of what you bought it for. Since you bought it back, they lost money therefore jacked up the "storage" price and counting on making plenty of money off you for parts. it is what it is

Wrong, when a bike is totaled, all we get paid is the exact amount we have in it (i.e. the labor for doing the estimate) plus the tow charge if we paid it.

A wrecker shows up with a check and that's the last we see of it.

We are never given the chance/option of buying it ourselves.

We see probly 15 totals a year and it is always the same process.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by POPS87FXR

Wrong, when a bike is totaled, all we get paid is the exact amount we have in it (i.e. the labor for doing the estimate) plus the tow charge if we paid it.

A wrecker shows up with a check and that's the last we see of it.

We are never given the chance/option of buying it ourselves.

We see probly 15 totals a year and it is always the same process.
That is the way it worked with my '97 Ultra when it was totaled in '01!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 PM
oltrout
Cruiser

like pops said....the bike is yours until you settle with insurance if you keep it you fax your ownership to them....they send it to dmv to be re issued as salvage....then either get the shop to fix it or take it home...if you let it go insurance sends a wrecker to pick it up and send it to auction.....dealer is paid storage, time spent on estimate and tow depending on how the tow/dealer worked out initial drop off...shop i was dealing with wanted nothing to do with a salvaged bike for there own use

Old 01-01-2010, 12:25 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the bent exhaust that came off the bike. Go to the dealer swinging and banging that pipe on the counters while you menacingly stare down the parts dude until he submits to your demands... That's my advice.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:17 AM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really, the ins co should pay the storage. $20 a day in frickin nuts. not sure who is to blame on that one, you or them. In fact, I think I saw a post on another forum: This guy wants us to store a wrecked bike till he and the ins co can work something out. "Is there any harm in over charging the crap out of him for storage in hopes that the ins co will actually pay it?"

Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 AM
oltrout
Cruiser

insurance did pay the bill...i neg. that as part of my settlement along with a seperate settlement for riding gear....what i was hoping was since i had a 2800 bill in my name why should the shop care who paid it as long as it got paid....i'm not looking for a pile of cash....be nice to get a discount card, a picture, a handshake....anything i think....heads up to anyone dealing with insurance is to neg. the storage stuff from the start because i'm sure they nearly had a **** fit when they got my storage bill....for riding gear you get 90% of anything you have a reciept for and 50% for anything you can't find a receipt for (i just got estimates at the shop to replace my other riding gear which ins. accepted)....keep in mind i'm in canada....so could be dif. in the states

Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

IMO, takes alot of ***** to even consider something like that. That dealer owes you nothing. You, on the other hand, are trying to get something for nothing.
What!...you think the dealer owes you something for storing the wreck?...what about his costs?..insurance, floor space, personell moving the wreck and putting it in storage, then pulling it out when the ins. people or anyone comes to look at it....That all costs someone money.
And all this over 2800.00!!.....WTF!!
Be a man. Take the bike, which I'm sure you got at a decent price, and move on.
Just my opinion...and worth what you paid for it.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Dealers

Most Harley Dealers won't give you free air, I paid over 32 grand for a Harley and all I got was a T-Shirt! Not a real Harley T shirt, one left over from a charity promotion?

I got the cheap shirt, he gets this story told about his dealership everywhere I go. Harley Dealers have been spoiled pre 08 on customer relations and customer satisfaction. I feel the one's that survive this downturn in the economy will have to change their attitude toward customer satisfaction.

I got a cleaning rag and he lost 3 bike sales this year because of his gifting policy. If anybody is keeping score, were even!

Now for your situation, you were not out the storage, not even on your insurance! So if the guy don't toss you a freebee, no harm no foul, especially since you got the bike back at your price. If he wanted to garner a little customer satisfaction and court you for a returning customer, he may give you a real Harley T-Shirt.

That will go against the grain of every fiber of his Harley conditioned being but I would do it. For no other reason than the free advertisement with my dealer name on that T-Shirt.

On the other hand, I don't sell Harley's and don't understand their business model. Down over 100,000 units this year in sales and profits are taking a beating, sometimes I don't know if Dealers know how to survive tough economic times! I know about the one's that have went under this year, still wondering about the rest!

Quick Reply: Dealership freebee's