General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tales of the Rat Fink

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brother.
Attachment 86324

Last edited by frogg; 04-02-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 PM
SalsaNChips
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wikipedia has a good write-up on Ed Roth with some interesting links at the end here.

Here is the official Ed Roth web site.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rat Rods pay homage to Big Daddy, they got a show in Vegas they take their rods to and you will find a lot of Big Daddy Ed Roth's art in some of the booth's.

Some could say he was sick, but I think in todays vernacular that's a good thing!

Wish I had kept some of them old Hot Rod mags from back in the day!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
Some of you folks are old enough to remember Ed "Big Daddy" Roth (Rat Fink). I have a couple of models from the 60s and early 70s that were based on his creations. One was the Beatnik Bandit and the other Mooneyes. I also saw the Surfite (the little car that was in Beach Blanket Bingo) and the Mega Cycle (with the custom Triumph motorcycle on back) at a couple car shows.

One of my favorites was the RF on a wild chopper ... I wish I could remember the name of it. If anyone remembers, it had a little bat perched on his shoulder and was riding a bike with ape hangers.

Anyway ... my oldest kid (now 27) remembered some of my models stuffed away in the basement. So this Christmas he bought me a DVD titled "Tales of the Rat Fink." I just finished watching it and would recommend it to anyone who remembers Rat Fink or the cars that Ed Roth built. It was cool seeing some those cars that I'd seen at shows when I was younger. The DVD is not an award winner, but it is a nice trip down memory lane.

Wow!! My uncle sent me a chrome german helmet and several T-shirts from a Rat Fink store in Florida back in the 70's!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 AM
1200lady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ed Roth

I feel fortunate to have known the man for many years. Whenever he saw me at car shows- he always wanted to go cruisin in either my 27 t roadster or my 40 Ford PU. I was thrilled to have won a trophy at one show from him- his pick- for most nostalgic car. He also gave me an original little black rat fink key fob thingee that I still have hangin off my bike's handlebars as a good luck charm. He was a genius. The other old timey hot rodder I spend many hours with was Gene Winfield. The really neat thing about these old timers was that they loved to tell stories to anyone who would listen to them. So I took the opportunity to learn some great stuff.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frogg
That's IT! That's the model ... thanks for posting the pic. I've searched twice for it and couldn't find the dang thing.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Yep I had a lot of the RF stuff back in the 60's.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
That's IT! That's the model ... thanks for posting the pic. I've searched twice for it and couldn't find the dang thing.
Here's the link;
http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.co...k-on-bike.html

Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an added "twist" of fate. It was Daddy Roth who commissioned 13 drawings/paintings, from a young guy named David Mann. Who later found himself as a founder/patch holder of the K.C. El Forasteros MC.
He eventually answered an ad in the back of Easyriders mag, and the rest, they say, is history. MOST of us, STILL enjoy, looking at his paintings of the infamous "choppers" of the El's.
But it was D.R., who saw his work and brought him on board.

My brother had the bucket T model with the R.F. and the GIANT shifter.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

We had a model car club back in the early 60's, used a lot of Big Daddy's ideas for extra points with building them.....

Quick Reply: Tales of the Rat Fink